S Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

davesyo

Reaction score
I thought S traps were not allowed anymore .Here is an S trap in a brand new house here in Baltimore county . During construction I saw the pvc pipe coming up through the floor where the kitchen sink would be .So here it is .Let me know your thoughts on this .Thanks.
DSCN0361.jpg

Last edited:

davesyo

Reaction score
There is no AAV , I looked under there to make sure. The pipe on the left is from the sink drain and the right one is from the disposal. However I just called my local county inspection and they said it is illegal, but then they said, as long as the trap arm is twice the length of the pipe diameter it would be OK. ?????

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Two different issues. Trap arm always has to be 2 pipe-diameters (ID) from the weir. (And I'm not even sure that it is, because the trap arm is that thing on the far side of the trap that seems to immediately turn down.)

Even if that was an AAV on the top of the thing, it's in the wrong place. An AAV there would just make it easier to siphon the trap.

Is this an Island? It could be correctly done into a floor pipe using a foot vent, but not the way it is set up now.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is there some type of AAV at the top of that sani tee? It's hard to tell in your photo.

You know, I was wondering the same thing, but if you look very carefully, the shiny thing is the metal band around the black plastic outlet from the disposer next to it that must be under the other part of a two-compartment sink. So we've got the disposer running into the top of that fitting, and the other sink running into the side, then both go into the S-trap.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Looks to me like the contractor brought in some unskilled labor to do the plumbing.

Or DESIGN the plumbing. :) ...given how approved plans would, I assume, have to include a vent through the roof, which appears to have been left out completely.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The reply from the building department is a CYA answer, since they did not catch it during the inspection and do not want to admit that they were incompetent enough to approve it.

davesyo

Reaction score
Since this is right against an outside wall it seems they could of just ran a vent pipe right up through the wall and out through the 2nd floor and out the roof .Another thing is that there is only 1 vent pipe through the roof which I saw for the whole house . There are 3 baths on the 2nd floor 2 on the first and 1 in the basement and the kitchen plumbing . Not sure if 1 vent pipe is enough ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks