(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: S Trap

Default S Trap

I thought S traps were not allowed anymore .Here is an S trap in a brand new house here in Baltimore county . During construction I saw the pvc pipe coming up through the floor where the kitchen sink would be .So here it is .Let me know your thoughts on this .Thanks.
    Name:  DSCN0361.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  26.2 KB
    Last edited by davesyo; 01-22-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Is there some type of AAV at the top of that sani tee? It's hard to tell in your photo.

There is no AAV , I looked under there to make sure. The pipe on the left is from the sink drain and the right one is from the disposal. However I just called my local county inspection and they said it is illegal, but then they said, as long as the trap arm is twice the length of the pipe diameter it would be OK. ?????
    Last edited by davesyo; 01-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Two different issues. Trap arm always has to be 2 pipe-diameters (ID) from the weir. (And I'm not even sure that it is, because the trap arm is that thing on the far side of the trap that seems to immediately turn down.)

Even if that was an AAV on the top of the thing, it's in the wrong place. An AAV there would just make it easier to siphon the trap.

Is this an Island? It could be correctly done into a floor pipe using a foot vent, but not the way it is set up now.

It is not an Island ,It is the main kitchen sink in the corner of the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by davesyo View Post
    It is not an Island ,It is the main kitchen sink in the corner of the kitchen.
    Hmmm. Then I'm guessing that that thing wasn't installed in accordance with the approved plans for this new construction...

I have seen this in some of the other houses in this development .

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Looks to me like the contractor brought in some unskilled labor to do the plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
    Is there some type of AAV at the top of that sani tee? It's hard to tell in your photo.
    You know, I was wondering the same thing, but if you look very carefully, the shiny thing is the metal band around the black plastic outlet from the disposer next to it that must be under the other part of a two-compartment sink. So we've got the disposer running into the top of that fitting, and the other sink running into the side, then both go into the S-trap.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    Looks to me like the contractor brought in some unskilled labor to do the plumbing.
    Or DESIGN the plumbing. ...given how approved plans would, I assume, have to include a vent through the roof, which appears to have been left out completely.

The reply from the building department is a CYA answer, since they did not catch it during the inspection and do not want to admit that they were incompetent enough to approve it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Since this is right against an outside wall it seems they could of just ran a vent pipe right up through the wall and out through the 2nd floor and out the roof .Another thing is that there is only 1 vent pipe through the roof which I saw for the whole house . There are 3 baths on the 2nd floor 2 on the first and 1 in the basement and the kitchen plumbing . Not sure if 1 vent pipe is enough ?

Everything depends on HOW the piping is installed as to whether the one vent pipe is adequate.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber