Commercial Bar Sink Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

djmaquet

Reaction score
I am in the process of building out a bar. I am the owner and my cousin is a very good union plumber in town. Behind the bar I have a hand sink (from left to right), a 12" garbage can, a 12" dump sink, then a 3 compartment sink with drainboards on each end. The hand sink has it's own drain and the 3 compartment sink drains into a floor drain. He is telling me that the dump sink cannot drain into the floor drain if I put a faucet on it (it does not have it's own drain).

He said that if I put a faucet on the dump sink, it will have to have it's own drain (closed). Yet I can do away with the dump sink and put in a 4 compartment sink (one compartment for dump), without any issues. This doesn't seem right as the water coming out of the 3 compartment sink will be gray water.

Does anybody know what code says about this? I equipment has already arrived but has not been installed. The bar is not sheeted yet, but he's telling me I would need another drain / vent (big bucks). Something just doesn't seem right - the dump sink will be very low volume - only to rinse with hot water a few times/day.

I read the code and it looks like I drain the dump indirectly...so I guess I'm missing something.

Thanks

plmbrbob

Reaction score
without knowing your town, i would be guessing, but assumming you are talking about indirect connection to a floor drain, hub drain or floor sink, most inspectors will allow an indirect connection, waste piping not to exceed 6ft., for dump sink. Most would allow a hand sink to be indirectly connected as well. Best to check with inspector. (they love that).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks