Water heaters in series

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbel

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a second water heater in series with my existing tank. Could someone tell me where the expansion tank should be located, or if I even need one? I have one 40gal electric heater and want to add another 40 gal.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Expansion tank can be installed anywhere in the house, on a cold water line. The majority are installed at or near the hot water heater cold water inlet side.

If you have a closed system heater manufactures and or code requires on. A closed system is where you have either a check valve, PRV or a backflow device installed.

Jbel

Reaction score
My home is an old farm house. I just purchased it. It has well water as a source. So far I have a sediment filter before the expansion tank which then goes into my Hague purification and softening system then out to the house. I've switched most of the home over to pex. Will the original pressure tank for the system suffice?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the PRV in fact count as a check valve? (Honeywell, if it matters)

It would be unusual to have a PRV with a well, unless you were feeding multiple buildings. But if you did, then yes. But then you have a design that should be reviewed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks