Swap Disposer on dual basin sink

Users who are viewing this thread

alexh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a dual basin Kohler sink and the counter workspace is on the side w/o disposer. That plus the fact that the main drain is perfectly horizontal for a bout 3' means that it stops up regularly. I have cleared it so many times I can do it in about 10 mins but it's still a royal pain.

Obviously Kohler intended the disposer be on the right side (small basin) since the hole for the dishwasher air gap is on that side but nothing is preventing me from putting the disposer on the left side?
Just wanted to be sure before I take it apart. The dishwasher air gap to disposer drain will be a long run but I don't see that this will be a problem.

I may be able to improve the slope on the main drain slightly but I'm thinking of adding a cleanout adapter. I'll still have to catch the water in a pan but at least I won't have to take apart the trap.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 336

Jim Mills

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with changing it out at all. Looks like you could shorten that discharge elbow on the disposer and the tail piece on the other sink an inch or so and gain a little height.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
How old is the garburator? The blades become dull over time and can cause blockages. If its anywhere near 6 or 7 years old I would recommend a new one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NOTHING in your photo that gives any indication that changing the disposer's location will have anything to do with preventing stoppages. You have something else causing them. "Perfectly horizontal for 3 feet" does NOT cause stoppages.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replace that dinosaur of a disposer.
When they get old, they no longer chip up the food and stoppages become a daily problem.

I like the Insinkerator Pro series.
Spend a little more on a nice disposer and less on plumbers.

And yes, you have plenty of room there to change sides.

The PRO Insinkerators we sell and install have longer warranties than the Evolution Series

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only "disadvantage" is that the right side sink is not as deep as the left side.

alexh

Reaction score
IMG_0721.jpg

Here is the main drain from sink to exterior cleanout. The stoppage is always in this section. The stoppages are really easy to clear - I used to use a coat hanger.

I think a new disposal on the work side will prevent lager debris from going down the drain.

glazer1972

Reaction score
Insinkerator Pro 1100xl would like solve your problem. It does a much better job of grinding the food up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "Pro" series is advertised as "Only available to professional plumbers". So it will probably be a few months before HD has it, just like the "plumber only" Evolution series they now sell. If the pipe is going "downhill", raise it, the opening looks large enough. Plastic pipe flexes very easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks