Hot water only working for a few seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

Daigo1

Reaction score
When I turn on the hot water, it only comes out for about 30 seconds, but then gets really cold and stays cold if I leave the water on (I've only tested for about 20 minutes, but it stays cold for those 20 minutes). However, if I turn the water off after the 30 seconds it's hot and as soon as the water gets cold, wait 1-2 minutes then turn the hot water back on, it's hot again for about 30 seconds before it gets goes cold again. Anyone have an idea of what the problem is?

Reach4

Reaction score
Conventional WH? Could be a broken dip tube.
u_diptube.gif

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I turn on the hot water, it only comes out for about 30 seconds, but then gets really cold and stays cold if I leave the water on (I've only tested for about 20 minutes, but it stays cold for those 20 minutes). However, if I turn the water off after the 30 seconds it's hot and as soon as the water gets cold, wait 1-2 minutes then turn the hot water back on, it's hot again for about 30 seconds before it gets goes cold again. Anyone have an idea of what the problem is?

Electric water heater? Bad element

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Recirc loop with bad check. When not in use, the return line fills with hot water. When the tap is turned on, it draws water from the return line instead of from the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks