How to choose oil burner relay switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bellis

Reaction score
Hello,

We have an old Snyder General oil furnace and we think that the relay switch is dead (the heater won't shut off after reaching the set thermometer temperature). Currently, we have a Honeywell relay switch which unfortunately doesn't have any labels or marks on it so we are unable to identify it.

The question is, how do we identify the current relay switch so that we can order the right replacement? Tech support at Honeywell can't help because of some legal reasons.

Or, how would we know what kind of relay switch we could replace the old one with?

At the moment, we are afraid to use the heater at night so it's a bit cold...

Thank you for any advice!

photo.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you know it is the primary control?

Do you know how to test it?

It might not be the primary, it might be the limit switch and it might be the thermostat and it might be a wiring issue.

Honeywell no longer makes that control. Rebuilts may be available through Sid Harvey but they wont sell to you unless you are licensed

Last edited:

Bellis

Reaction score
What happens is that when the desired temperature is reached, the fan shuts off but the blower doesn't. We have to cut off the heater at the breaker box but we need to turn the switch back on so that the fan will still work and cool down the furnace. So the fan will come on a couple of times after we cut the heater off, but the heat won't turn back on before we push the reset button.

At the moment, the thermometer is set to 75F to make sure that the fan keeps on going. And before the house temperature reaches 75F, I go and cut it off at the breaker box.

At the local HVAC parts distributor, they think that what we need is Honeywell's Protectorelay (http://bit.ly/1gKYc4U).

I have called the only guy in this town who knows about oil furnaces but he seems to be swamped. And I'd like to get some heat for the nights :)

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the problem is not the primary control, the problem is the fan switch

Bellis

Reaction score
Thank you for taking your time to help me, Tom!

Well, actually, the fan has been cycling on and off quite a lot this and past winter even when there's no call for heat. Is this an indication that the fan switch was dying?

What I don't understand is that since the fan shuts off when it needs to (when the thermometer temperature is reached) but the blower still keeps on heating, why doesn't the relay switch cut the heat off? We suspected that the contactors were stuck or worn out.

Now, is there a trick to identify the correct fan switch for our unit? The current one is Honeywell but, again, no other marks or labels. We haven't taken it out so I don't know how long the element is.

photo 6.jpg

Bellis

Reaction score
Honeywell no longer makes that control. Rebuilts may be available through Sid Harvey but they wont sell to you unless you are licensed

Tom, would happen to know what model that Honeywell control is? Or what would be the replacement for it? We'll most likely need to change that in the near future and I'd like to be prepared for that. (Every January some furnace part breaks and it's no fun without heat...)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks