(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 shower heads on septic looking for grey water diverter

Default 8 shower heads on septic looking for grey water diverter

Hi,

I have a huge shower on a septic system and in the summer time I was wanting to have the drain diverted to the sump pump pit to be injected outside to the plant beds. The drain will come down in a finished basement that will be covered with drywall.

Is there a product that can be controlled with a switch that could divert the water one way or the other that could be buried in the ceiling?

thanks for the advice

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Grey Water Switch - Counter Weight Design

I've never heard of a grey water switch before. I think you most likely have to go one way or the other.

When I worked in the Carribean they made these "Basements" which where not basements but rather massive water reserves. When the rains came the water would hit the roof and the down spots where designed so a little leakage filled a reservoir and when this had enough water in it the pipe would fall forward and the second down pipe would line up with the gutters rain water.

This principle was so that dust, dirt, salt and crap would first be washed off the roof. Then when the water coming was cleaner it would enter the basement container. Perhaps you could design your sump to hold more water and when there was a lot of flow the sump would fill up higher. Maybe there a second pipe hooked up to your sump pump???

Hope this helps you some. Must be freezing in the Peg? I graduated from Kildonean East back in 86 and built my first bathroom in South Saint Vital the following year....

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

You could use a "three way valve" to divert one way or the other.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Blog Entries

Default Grey Water Diverter - Three Way Option

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    You could use a "three way valve" to divert one way or the other.
    HJ. They make a three way diverter for waste water? How do you switch it? Is it powered like a the mini zone valves I have from Honeywell for my radiators...

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    HJ. They make a three way diverter for waste water? How do you switch it? Is it powered like a the mini zone valves I have from Honeywell for my radiators...
    Jandy neverlube 3-way valves are not certified for the purpose, but they work nicely. See http://www.dupagehealth.org/homeowners-guide "4. Diversion valves". No, that is not something you can cite as authority.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

While some municipalities promote release of greywater, others strictly prohibit it. I would be sure to look into this before I modified my drainage system.

+100 on cacher-check's observation. Here in NH greywater diversion systems are illegal for anything other than using the water to flush toilets. We passed on the purchase of a home several months back because it had a greywater system that was installed by the home owner - a master plumber - during construction to offload the shower, tubs, and bath sinks from the septic system. A great idea conservation-wise, but still illegal and done after the septic plan was drawn up. If the septic system (30+ years old, apparently working fine) ever needed significant repair the state would mandate the removal of the greywater diversion system - and that would then require a larger septic tank, etc. (This property was near a lake so there were more stringent environmental regulations associated with the property.)

cities make a lot of things illegal that shouldn't be and i know dumping the grey water outside don't meet code but its been inspected already.
    Id like to water my gardens with the grey water in the summer and save the cost of hauling away good water.

i will keep google ing for powered 3 way valves in 2"

Here are some effluent director valves that are designed for gravity flow. Usually they would be in the yard and separate flow into different drain fields. They are manual valves. A two inch, three way solenoid valve that works for waste water is going to be very expensive.

http://www.siphons.com/bull-run-valve.html

http://zabelstore.stores.yahoo.net/3051.html

3 way valves can be manual or electric. They are NOT certified for drain use, because they are NOT "directional", but then NONE are because drains do not normally have valves in them.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjetson View Post
    cities make a lot of things illegal that shouldn't be and i know dumping the grey water outside don't meet code but its been inspected already.
    Id like to water my gardens with the grey water in the summer and save the cost of hauling away good water.

i will keep google ing for powered 3 way valves in 2"
    Hey Jetson - please come back and share with us what you find. I'm sure hundreds of others just like you are looking for ways to lower there water bill and do more more for the environment.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As has been already said...you should check with the local authorities. There are potential health issues with using grey water. Some places allow it, some don't, and even when they do, there are often restrictions. I think the primary reason controls aren't readily available to do this is because in many places, it's illegal, therefore the market is restricted.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

When you find an appropriate 3 way valve, with a removeable handle, there are affordable actuator options that are available. If this valve only gets stroked at the beginning and end of season, you can get by with something simpler. 100-150 in/lbs torque is all you'll need, and length of time for changing positions shouldn't matter.

Blog Entries

Vegas how dare you add to this discussion. Didn't you just read Jim's post? OMG Man - there is no instructions to quote so it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

You have so much to learn here. When Jim speaks - you then know your work is done. Jim spends his life understanding everything. Double checking everything. The dude took two, not one Schluter workshop so he could build a shower out of foam for his mom. The man is a master.

Just recently he pointed out I don't know how to pooh in Turkey. Only moments later he was answering questions on steam valve installations. The man is a ****ing encyclopedia dude.

LOL - Sorry, had to get that out. What the hell did you just say? In English Sparky in English

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Just recently he pointed out I don't know how to pooh in Turkey. Only moments later he was answering questions on steam valve installations.
    IF you actually read what I wrote, I said those instructions are necessary so that the locals not familiar with them, when using the 'western' toilets installed for the tourists, don't try to do their thing like they do at home. Many places do not use the 'thrones' we grew up with. I've had to clean off footprints from the seat more than once before I sat down.

So, John, if the local rules prohibit grey water reuse, are you prepared to pay any fine and fix their plumbing for them should they get caught while doing it? Or, pay for the doctor's bills should someone get sick because of it? Or pay for bottled water should someone's well become contaminated until things cleaned up again, if ever?

You can laugh all you want...there's a reason why many places restrict its use.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014