Culligan Super S problems

Users who are viewing this thread

billy0510

Reaction score
Not sure where to start But i have a Culligan Super S filter in my home. A few weeks ago I started having trouble with that eggy smell. So i went threw the filter checking what i could and realized it would barely suck any peroxide during the flush. My water is getting worse by the day and i have noticed a greyish color to mainly the warm water. I do understand that the greyish water is coming form the lack of cleaning of the media bed so i need any advice on to why this unit is not taking the solution. i moved into this home and the unit was here andthe home was built in 2005 so im guessing the unit is that old. I have read a few posts on here and am really thinking of changing the media bed also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should check the injector and its screen for blockage, then the compression fittings on the brine line to make sure none are sucking air, including any inside the tank where the brine line goes. You can put the control valve into brine draw/slow rinse and watch for air bubbles in the brine line IF the line is opaque instead of colored.

Of course you must shut off the water and depressure the fiter before loosening or taking any parts off.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is really no set time frame, depends on the set up of the system from a few seconds to a minute and that might happen every few minutes up to very 60 minutes depending on the controller for the pump. The controller is behind the main cover on the left side...at least the ones that I have danced with over the years.

If the system has been working save for the last few weeks with the injector plugged then I would leave it alone and not change any of the settings.

billy0510

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the compressor/pump.
Just went threw the unit found a really dirty mesh filter so i cleaned it and put it back together. Going threw some of the other parts i noticed that on the intake side of the unit a white almost yellowish film/crust throughout the unit. It almost seems like a calcium build up???? As i got deeper and deeper into the unit I found alot of build up. I then removed the entire unit from the tank and realized the tank also had lots of build up. i can see the pipe coming from the center of the tank and the output or inside of the pipe is clean as a whistle but the outside or input side there is a cone looking plastic filter that is about plugged with only a few slots open for the water to enter. I will be carefully going thru more of the unit tonight but am a little weary on the tank. The pipe and cone filter (for lack of a better description) moves around a bit but I am not sure if i should try to pull it out. Any thoughts on what this build up is and can this tank be taken apart!!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Intake side most likely will get a build up of what ever is in the water and the out side should be clean if the unit is working right.
There is an insert into the tank on the intake side of the tank that often does get built up of many things, iron often around here. It can be removed and cleaned and then put back in, if it is closed off or mostly closed then flow will be cut down through the media bed.
Any photos?

billy0510

Reaction score
Yea i think the one picture is the injector screen which is pretty plugged, so i will try and clean it 20140116_200836.jpg

picture of unit20140116_200542.jpg

tank or filter20140116_201002.jpg20140116_201038.jpg

So can i just yank this insert and pipe out if i want to change the media??? or should i try and just clean the insert??? and hope the media is ok.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The piston in the valve looks to be in need of a bath and the basket that is around the distributor tube could use the same bath..

White vinegar would work, while it might take awhile...

The culligan valve looks to be still with many of the parts from the older days of the Mark 89 and 812 , it has the tank adapter style of the Eco water...

billy0510

Reaction score
So just tried to pull the basket out of the tank and wash with vinegar. I can't seem to get the basket ou (without breaking it). Does the pipe stay put while the basket comes out??? And is that picture of the filter screen that I posted is that the injector screen??? Thanks for your assistance so far I've learned more about this system in the last few days then I have in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The center pipe or distributor tube will stay while the basket comes straight up, now with the build up around the tube and the inner ring of the basket it might be very hard to get it moving.. but be careful as to no lift the tube as it will be a real pain to get back down.

As for the screen , that part I have seen, but the black part... that is not ringing any bells off hand...
The screen looks more like the one for a fleck valve, and the black part, no clue,
A photo of where it came from?

billy0510

Reaction score
Ill get a picture for ya when I get home that black piece in the picture with the screen is actually the screens housing. Kindof looks like a mini whole house filter.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can see, I can see..................... what a mess....
Looks like the chlorine or other is added to the little filter housing and yes the screen should be cleaned up.....
The other screen that I was talking about is under the little silver plate that has 3 screws holding it down on the spine of the valve body.
The injector assembly is there the nozzle is in the throat that has the little screen at the top, if the nozzle is pluged it will not draw the chemical that is in use into the system.
Also from the other photos the main piston and seal pack might be another reason for it not working right, along with the upper basket at the top of the tank.
Look for a pm.

billy0510

Reaction score
I have already taken the metal plate off a didnt see any screen!!! Today i got the nozzle (im guessing) out and cleaned it and still didnt see any screen?????? Ive cleaned it pretty good and found plugged parts all over!!!! I got your PM and thanks

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there was no screen then I would say it was eaten away.
Doing a full break down of the system to clean might be some thing that has to be done about every few years.
You most likely did get the nozzle out if you pulled the only part under the metal plate out and then pulled the little tan or blue part out of it.

There is one other part that might be a problem, the solenoid valve , there is the spring and plunger along with the diaphragm. If that has not been looked at it might be worth taking apart and making sure that there is a spring and that all are clean.

billy0510

Reaction score
I have most of the unit torn apart and cleaned but didn't see a spring or diaphragm???? Where should this be located??? Ill have to look thru it again tonight.

billy0510

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!!!! Seems that all the buildup throughout the unit contributed to problems of the unit not transferring brine solution. The unit is up and running good again!!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Good to hear that all is returning to normal.
How did the main piston and its seals look?

billy0510

Reaction score
piston looked good i had one somewhat damaged o ring that was near the end of the assembly. I will test my luck and see if that holds up. Priced a new one from culligan and it was $85. Thanks again for your help!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks