Sediment in water after flushing the pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

leo fleming

Reaction score
I'm on well and I had a leak in the pipe coming into the house prior to the pressure tank. So I had a plumber in and he flushed the pipes - turned off the water into the house and had me run the tub until all the water was gone.

We also have a water softener, and he set it on bypass because I've been having pressure issues. The resin needs to be replaced. Basicaly he told me to get some water guys in to look at my water system.

Anyway, ever since he left we've had sediment in the water. I've been running the water in an attempt to flush it, but it's only getting marginally better. So my question is, where is this sediment coming from? Was this originally in my pipes and the flushing loosened all of it? Do I just need to keep running the water until it dissipates?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Taking what you posted at face value................

No sediment before service call.

Bypassed water softener and now there is sediment.

Having dealt with water softeners in areas mineral content was enough to ponder panning it for precious metals, I can tell you nothing will clog up a softener faster than sediment.

Sediment filters must be added prior to the water softener.

If, in fact, the softener was switched back in and you are getting the sediment, well then, ignore my post.:)

leo fleming

Reaction score
I was thinking that too, so I switched the softerner back in and the sediment continues... My guess is that there was a substantial build up of some mineral in the pipes and they got knocked loose by the flushing. Maybe iron sulfide?? They're black flecks. I have a micronizer installed to kill the sulfur smell as the water comes into the house. My guess is that the smell has been killed but the mineral keeps on coming. I've got the water system guys coming in tomorrow - my guess is that I need an iron filter, and I need to have my resin replaced. But I'm just guessing.

Either the plumber somehow knocked all the sediment from the softener into the plumbing (and I don't even know if that's possible), or the sediment has been accumulating for a decade and is only now just letting go.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not switch in the rejuvenated water softener until all filters are are in place and the water is running clear for awhile.

Of course, if there is clear water iron, you need to let a sample of water sit for a moment to observe all it's natural beauty.

Yeah, heaven knows what a plumber may do when you let them loose on your pipes. :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks