Natural gas barbeque

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I bought the propane to natural gas conversion kit for my barbeque. It only included two parts: new jets and a new regulator. I ran a 1/2" gas line to the area but stepped down to 3/8" and a ball valve shutoff since the input to the regulator was only 3/8". I noticed that the thing does not get as hot as it did on propane. I understand that the energy per volume is not the same, but the jets are significantly larger. I occasionally use the thing in the winter, too. I noticed last time I tried that the burner was barely burning, so I turned it off and used the broiler. I probably need to check the flow (the line is about 12'), but I'll probably need to call someone with the right tools.

Anything I can check easily or should look at to troubleshoot this, and is there an inexpensive manometer (isn't that what is used to check pressure on this) or other device to check the flow and pressure?

Does anyone have any experience with TEC's Sterling line with the 100% radiant burner? On this thing, there is refractory glass on top of the ceramic burner so there is no flame under the food - all of the cooking is via radiant heat.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Orfice clogged??

this is something I am planning on doing this spring to my
grill too......

it realy pisses me off to have to go out and get a new propane tank
re-fill for about 20 bucks just to cook a couple of steaks....
and the next time you want to use it it seems you got to repeat the
whole ordeal again......

you should not have a pressure
problem from a normal gas line if their is no problem
in your home

so it might be something as simple as a clogged orfice
going into the grill.....

cleaning that out is fairly easy with a very fine needle

or possibly you need to just make the orfice opening larger.

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Air volume adjustment necessary?

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This thing uses a very non-traditional burner. The jets exit under a ceramic block into free space. The gas goes up through 30,000 small holes in the ceramic block, and creates a plasma on top of the block. After about 3 minutes, the whole ceramic block is red hot. Way back when I bought it, they measured the cooking grid temperature at 1650 degrees F. It appears that there just isn't enough gas...it is not enough to actually cause it to burn across the entire surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks