Replacing generic tub spout - existing threaded pipe too long

Users who are viewing this thread

ddnidd1

Reaction score
I'm replacing a generic screw on tub spout (non-diverter). The length of the existing threaded pipe is 4 3/16". If I attempt to install a standard 5" spout, it sits approx. 3/16"- 1/4" off of the wall. The existing pipe is pretty corroded so I don't believe I can remove it easily. It doesn't want to budge.

I have seen 5 1/4" spouts, but the few I have seen specs for mount to a short nipple.

So I'm really looking for a source of a chrome spout that will screw on without a lot of grief.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Your best bet is to remove the old nipple and replace with a brass nipple that fits your spout.

ddnidd1

Reaction score
I just took a closer look at the junction of the pipe and its seriously corroded. Its not going anywhere.

Asktom

Reaction score
Use two nipples and a coupling, there will be four threads to make up rather than two, thus more adjustment. If the nipple is that bad would you want to hook up to it even if you could?

ddnidd1

Reaction score
I just stumbled on a 'very cheap' 5 1/4" spout where the specs show it will accommodate the existing 4 3/16" pipe. So if worse comes to worst, I'll order this as a temporary fix. I'd really like to find a better quality fixture, but at the very least it will keep me from having to wrestle with the pipe and possibly have to open the wall. I can't imagine there's anyway to remove the pipe intact. Its too far gone.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you tried a pair of big vicegrips clamped to the nipple 180 degrees apart? You need to clamp hard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never found a tub spout pipe nipple that I haven't been able to remove.

I do like the delta tub spouts though for ease of installation. They come with a brass adapter and O-ring that allows the tub spout to thread down to the tile.
Installing one would require a shorter pipe nipple that yours though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks