how to remove kitchen tap

Users who are viewing this thread

LindaK

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove a kitchen tap and having problems. Underneath the sink the waterlines and spray hose etc come out of the tap base but are all surrounded 3/4 of the way by a metal circular sheath (for lack of a better term) that is about an inch long. There is a nut way up inside of this metal sheath but I cant get to it to unscrew it. Can I remove the metal sheath in some way? HELP!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No way to tell you without a photo. But if it is a Moen valve with the "adapter" turned upside down because of the counter thickness, then you may need the special wrench that came with it and someone probably took with them or threw away.

LindaK

Reaction score
Thanks! My son says he has a friend who is in plumbing and may have one. Why do companies make things that take "special" tools. Ugghhhh

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It's an "engineer" thing. They like to show how smart the are by making the "best mounting they have ever seen", then make the special wrench to fit it, which then turns out to be a "single use tool" when it gets lost.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is that the need for special tools is often a deterant so DIYers will have to call in a real plumber, or pump guy, or electrician, or auto mechanic, or appliance tech......and I like it that way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do you REALLY think an "engineer" is that intelligent, or even worries about what happens once he has designed it? They assemble their "brainchild" on a bench in a pristine laboratory, and have NO IDEA what it will take to install it in the field.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could it be that the hoses are part of a replaceable assembly? Is that metal sheath OD larger or smaller than the holes in the sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks