Move washer to master closet?

Users who are viewing this thread

kaygoot

Reaction score
Hi experts!

We have a new construction home (1 yr old) and our master bedroom closet is large enough to move our washer and dryer into. I'd love to do this to free up our laundry room to be more of a mud room, and for the convenience of having the washer right where all the clothes action is.

The master closet is downstairs, on an exterior wall. On that same exterior wall about 6 ft away is a sink in our master bath. I have NO idea if this could work or not, but I wondered if there's anyway the washer drain could run through that sink drain? And if so, are we talking hundreds of dollars to do this, or more?

Thank you in advance!

K

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to put a washer pan, hooked to a drain, under the washer. I am just giving you a search term-- I have not used one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A washer drian requires a 2" waste line and trap.

The master lav may only be a 1.5"
The washer p-trap will also need to be vented. I believe that in Florida, the 2" washer drain may run into a 3" waste line.

Asktom

Reaction score
If this means the washer and dryer would be in the closet with the close it seems like you might have problems with your clothes being moist. Also, a gas dryer would not be legal in that location (I assume), you would need to use electric.

Reach4

Reaction score
If this means the washer and dryer would be in the closet with the close it seems like you might have problems with your clothes being moist. Also, a gas dryer would not be legal in that location (I assume), you would need to use electric.
What about a louvered door?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Suggest you check with your local building inspectors. You may find some serious code issues here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks