Bathroom Remodelling Insights

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Houzz.com does many surveys on their web site and I find the data tracking surveys the most interesting.

Here is a good review of over 6,000 people surveyed on the subject of Tub vs Shower for their next renovation. With over 17,000,000 viewers a month a lot of people take part in these surveys.

It appears that age plays the primary role here in the discussion making process. For those of you wondering about some simple design ideas the article is a good read and has lots of useful information.

I started another discussion here that features Houzz.com's top ten designers and I found after doing this exercise some interesting things materialize. Like for example the West Coast rocks the design front.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Homeowners 65 and older are more likely to skip adding a bathtub than those under 35

I would place this age group much lower. I'm finding more and more young couples skipping the tub as well for their master ensuite renovations.

When planning a shower for the long term - it's important to consider the size and the fact that one day a care giver may be needed. My trend in shower building is couples designing high end showers, with space, no curbs and room for more than one. This is smart planning ion my book.

You don't want your shower to become a cookie cutter medical room looking space. Plan for care early so you are pro-active and not re-active.

bigstock-a-senior-is-bathed-by-nurses-37364530.jpg

Care Giver Space in Shower: Photo Source - Page

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
54 percent will chose frameless glass

Here in Vancouver it's more like 98% choose Frameless Glass Installs.

I think Frameless glass installs have become the norm or goto shower screen method....

contemporary-showers.jpg

Frameless Glass Installation: Photo Source - Page

VS

Framed Glass Installation: Photo Source - Page

01.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Mills

Reaction score
John, do you have any threads on the rough framing of a no curb shower. It seems to me that the challenge is the need to compromise the framing below a shower floor to accommodate the "lower than floor drain.

Jim Mills

Reaction score
LOL... I hope you don't have nightmares about being trampled upon by that big red shoe! Thanks for the info...

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I'm gonna have nightmares about being the dude in the shower that John posted. Then again, it might work out okay depending on the caregiver. The undies have to go. LOL

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
LOL... I hope you don't have nightmares about being trampled upon by that big red shoe! Thanks for the info...

If you read some of the advice John Whipple gives, you'll find some gems and some rotten apples. That I try to call him on when he suggests something that conflicts with the Tile Council of North America's tested/approved/validated methods (the industry guidelines all pros should abide by) or conflicts with the manufacturer's instructions, he gets in a huff, throws insults, and tries to deflect the discussion away from the subject. He really believes he is the only one that really knows how to do things. So, just be careful on what you attempt on his recommendations, and actually read the manufacturer's instructions and the TCNA guidelines if you want something that will work, and have the manufacturer's warranty.

Related to tiling things, I, and many others, have had good luck running ideas by the pros at www.johnbridge.com - a site John Whipple is no longer welcomed at for his abrasive attacks when someone didn't agree with him.

That last comment will probably elicit one of his attacks.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
If you’re under 45, you’re more likely to choose a rain shower and multiple showerhea

rain-spa-shower-heads-ib-2.jpg

Rain Shower Head with LED's: Photo Source - Page

I would think that more younger couples are getting it on in the shower and why the extra rain heads and body jets are needed. My biggest complaint with these fixtures is too much flow so making sure you use a volume control is key to smart shower planning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks