DWV Wall Termination (instead of roof)

Users who are viewing this thread

stevenrobertburke

Reaction score
Please advise how I might convince a Placer County (JHA) building official that venting through a parapet wall is an acceptable alternative to venting through the roof. Code is 2010 California Plumbing Code.

We have a project where no roof penetrations are allowed by the builder (hydrostatic seamed metal roof), and we would like to bring the 4" termination through a parapet wall. "Carradine" posted back in Feb 2009 on a similar situation.

Thanks! Steve
Olympic Valley, Ca

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Out the top of the parapet is no different than through the roo, we do it all the time, especially when the drain line is in that wall rather than offset out of the wall and into the roof line. Through the side of it, however, would be bad, because when the wind blew from that direction it would create a pressure in the drain system.

stevenrobertburke

Reaction score
thanks HJ,
one other nuance, if I might ask.

i'd like to go through the parapet on the back side then elbow up to avoid the wind blow you mention. The point here is going out of the top of the parapet will be visible from the street, but going out the side wall and elbow (or perhaps TEE vertical?) up should be nicely hidden from view. Does this work or is there some kind of side wall termination I could use?
Many thanks! Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks