ABS or PVC, and why

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, you use whatever the supply houses in your area stock. Here, and most of the Southwest, it is ABS. In many parts of the Midwest it is PVC. Some areas have both, but sometimes they do not have a complete stock of fittings for one or the other. If you have a choice, then it is a personal preference.

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Interesting. I could hardly find any info on the subject. And what I did find was outdated. Pretty mixed bag here, and it's all cellular core now. (except for the HVAC stuff)

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a another choice: PVC Foam Core DWV pipe. It is supposed to be quieter, as well as lighter, than schedule 40 PVC. It is only for above ground drain, waste, and venting, and not for pressurized systems. You have to pay attention to the tags on the shelves, because it looks just like regular schedule 40 PVC.

Quieter sounds like a good feature.

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Re read my last response. that's pretty much all that's used for DWV here. Cellular core = foam core.

There is a another choice: PVC Foam Core DWV pipe. It is supposed to be quieter, as well as lighter, than schedule 40 PVC. It is only for above ground drain, waste, and venting, and not for pressurized systems. You have to pay attention to the tags on the shelves, because it looks just like regular schedule 40 PVC.

Quieter sounds like a good feature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks