2-1/2" waste line; what wax ring should I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

mike0707

Reaction score
I used a male fitting on the floor side for the toilet flange. Result, the 3" pipe became a 2-1/2" waste line (I take it the flange pipe is about 1/4" thick).

The flange has a recessed bottom (about 1/2") where the 2-1/2" happens and sits on the tile (probably raised about 1/2" - its thickness). The wax ring I purchased for 3" or 4" waste lines has a funnel/ sleeve that has a bottom I/D (close to OD since it's fairly thin) a little in excess of 2-1/2" and will not fit inside the flange.

I checked the toilet. It's out "port" had 2-1/2" opening (ID) and about 3" OD (again the thickness of the porcelain ring is close to 1/4"). It's probably very little off the floor when the toilet sits on the floor. I would assume, if well centered, there will be about 1/2 + 1/8, about 5/8 between the rim of the toilet and the rim of the waste line, at the bottom of the recessed potion of the flange.

The toilet installed over the flange rocks very little. I suppose two very small shims at the back will fix that, if the wax ring doesn't. Still, I have no idea what to do about the wax ring. Can I use it without the funnel? Is that safe? Are there rings for 2-1/2" openings? I imagine it would have to be about 2-1/4" at the base and then cone up to 3-1/2 to go around the stub on the toilet bottom. Are there such wax rings? Everywhere I look, they are 3" or 4".

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC05513.jpg
    DSC05513.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,175
  • DSC05519.jpg
    DSC05519.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,583

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You want a standard wax ring without a funnel.

My preference would be to cut out the inside slip fit flange and install an outside flange on your 3" waste line.

Even better, cut out the 3" bend and replace it with a 4x3 closet bend so you can have a 4" riser and flange.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anyrocking will result in a leak. The wax ring will not prevent rocking. It is to seal the toilet and flange connection. Rocking can be eliminated by shimming. Set the toilet over the flange without the wax ring and fit the necessary shims. Then place the wax ring on the flange, set the toilet in place making sure the shims are still in position. Use you body weight to compress the wax and secure with flange bolts. As you noted, the inside diameter is greatly restricted with a 3" inside fitting flange and should be avoided. Outside fit is OK, 4" is probably better if possible. Funnel waxed rings should be avoided unless it is necessary to use 2 rings. Then the funnel should be the top ring. (N/A in your case)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks