4 conductor to 3 conductor

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I do not even need to look at a manual, been there done that.
OH, OK, I get it. Get called on being wrong and you play that card. Very nice.
Do you cheat in cards too? Forget it, I'm done trying to have a grown up conversation with a child who kicks all the pieces off the game board.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
To the OP, even at 230/240V, that welder is so close to maxing out that genset I would not risk it. Not unless you only plan to weld thin stock or sheetmetal.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
For anyone interested, this is from the spec sheet:
"Rated Output
150 A at 23.5 VDC, 30% Duty Cycle (230 V)
90 A at 20 VDC, 20% Duty Cycle (120 V) "

That is exactly why you can not make a good weld with it, on 120 V, unless your work is very thin.

It will weld Tin Foil without burn threw on 120V.

I will not get into a contest, Use what works for you.

Pissing_Contest.jpg

I have been welding for a Minuit, But I am no expert.

Most REAL welders will not buy a Miller welder of that class, then wire it to work on 120V. They will buy a 120V one from Wal-Fart to play with.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
OH, OK, I get it. Get called on being wrong and you play that card. Very nice.
Do you cheat in cards too? Forget it, I'm done trying to have a grown up conversation with a child who kicks all the pieces off the game board.

Look at yourself in the Mirror, If you really think that way.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
That is exactly why you can not make a good weld with it, on 120 V, unless your work is very thin.

It will weld Tin Foil without burn threw on 120V.

I will not get into a contest, Use what works for you.

I have been welding for a Minuit, But I am no expert.

Most REAL welders will not buy a Miller welder of that class, then wire it to work on 120V. They will buy a 120V one from Wal-Fart to play with.

Have Fun.
I was NOT saying what I or any other welder would do. Mine runs on 240V, same as my stick machine. I was stating what the specifications said, according to the manufacturer.
YOU said the welder needed a neutral, regardless, even at 240V, since the gun rant at 120V. I called BS, and you scattered the chess pieces.

Look at yourself in the Mirror, If you really think that way.
Yeah, nice try. This isn't the first time like this with you. I doubt it will be the last.

Have a wonderful night.

DonL

Reaction score
I was NOT saying what I or any other welder would do. Mine runs on 240V, same as my stick machine. I was stating what the specifications said, according to the manufacturer.
YOU said the welder needed a neutral, regardless, even at 240V, since the gun rant at 120V. I called BS, and you scattered the chess pieces.

Yeah, nice try. This isn't the first time like this with you. I doubt it will be the last.

Have a wonderful night.

I don't get pissed like that.

We all come here to provide help to others, and most of the time do a good job at it.

I will be the first to admit when I have my head up my ass.

I was only going by the Info I found online. If I had that model, I would pop the hood and just see how it is wired.

You are normally correct and know your stuff.

I look forward to a pissing contest with you soon.

Have Fun.

Mojoe

Reaction score
I finally got an email reply from Miller - almost 6 weeks later - 2 hots and a ground. They said the generator was smaller than recommended but probably fine for 1/8" or less. Even with the welder turned down, it still burnt right through the old thin exhaust pipe on 230 V but put down some nice scabs on 120. There are times when that 120 will save your bacon when you're faced with less than ideal circumstances. Thanks to everyone for the help.

DonL

Reaction score
Great that it is working for you.

I guess there is a good side to 120V.

I would have thought that the current could be turned down enough on 240V.

Have fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks