Black Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I know that black pipe is used for gas and hotwater applications, but why? Why can't galvanized steel be used? Thanks again for your expertise.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Natural gas is reactive to the galvanized used in coating the pipe which therefore causing "flaking" inside the pipe. In my area you cannot use galvanized for this reason, even though the gas utility states that "their" gas doesn't do this. There are tons of gas lines and fittings that have galvanized mixed with black iron. Not too often have I heard of clogging directly to this stuation. Not a myth, just a code that covers the "what if".

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
IRCC, Black Iron Pipe typically isn't used for potable-water applications. Gas, Oil, Air--yes. Galvanized typically is for water, and a poor choice at that.

Jason

Reaction score
So, galvanized pipe is used only for water service, because if used with gas, there is a chemical reaction of flaking, which causes clogs and reduced strength of pipe. Is this correct???

Thanks Guys!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding, after talking to folks at PGW (Phila Gas Works), that the non use of galvanized pipe goes back to the early 20th centry and no longer applies to current gas. But, is still written into codes, which have never been updated.

Paul

Reaction score
Apparently in some cities and states black pipe does not need to be used for gas. I live in Chicago and black pipe is sold everywhere (city & suburbs) for the sole purpose of gas applications. This is confusing.

Thnaks for all the input.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here any gas pipe exposed to the elements MUST be galvanized; not allowed underground, of course.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if natural gas causes a reaction with galvanized pipe or not, but traditionally black iron pipe is used for gas. Galvanized pipe is legal for water but is not a good choice at all. Generally copper is preferred for water although some new forms of pipe such as PEX is being used now. Black iron pipe is never used for water to the best of my knowledge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

These days black pipe is used for gas inside a building because it is cheaper. It has nothing to do with a reaction with the gas. Outdoors it has to be galvanized. Underground it is a black pipe with a coating, which is the poorest decision I have ever heard of, but then I am not one writing the code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks