fleck 4650

Users who are viewing this thread

a1cmaw

Reaction score
hi all, great forum, lots of good info.

looking to update my softener and neutralizer. have an old rainsoft that broke and a neutralizer with a fleck 4650 valve. anyone ever seen a fleck 4650 used for neutralization? i just want to make sure this is the correct application as everything i'm reading is that it's for softening. and pentair actually calls it a hot water control valve (whatever that means). any information would be appreciated.

thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It can be used for cold water, hot water, softening, filtering, etc. I would not recommend it for chemical injection (pot perm, etc) but other than that, it is basically a brass bodied 5600. I use a ton of them for dish washer softeners, up to 150 degrees.

a1cmaw

Reaction score
thanks for your quick reply.

one dumb question though, how does the valve know what configuration it is installed in? the valve seems pretty basic.

ditttohead

Reaction score
A softener valve will have a brine system, a backwashing system will have the brine system disabled/plugged. Their are some minor changes that are informational only, and it is unlikely anybody would ever notice. Many companies only stock the softener version of the valve, and simply modify the valve for backwashing for the rare occasion that it is needed for that.

a1cmaw

Reaction score
so what happens during the brine related parts of the cycle? is it essentially wasting water? or does it need to perform those steps anyway?

Many companies only stock the softener version of the valve, and simply modify the valve for backwashing for the rare occasion that it is needed for that.

so what is your preferred valve for a neutralizing/backwash system (assuming those two are the same)? it sure seems this forced regeneration is awfully wasteful...

Reach4

Reaction score
The BF (brine fill) is set to zero, which concludes the process. I don't know what happens if you don't have a solution tank to draw from.. That part of the cycle can probably be disabled, but even if the line is just plugged, that cycle just becomes a slow rinse anyway.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The brine cycle on a mechanical system does not waste water since the injector is replaced with a non drilled injector (plugged). It basically does a 10 minute backwash, 60 minute standby cycle, 10 minute fast rinse. This is a simplification, but you get the point. On a 4650 backwash valve, the main sticker is different indicating no cycle step between the backwash and fast rinse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks