(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dielectric unions

Default Dielectric unions

Hi,

Just had an inspector not pass a water heater because the cold water inlet has a 3/4" threaded brass ball valve on a 3/4" galvanized pipe stub out of the wall. The house is plumbed in Galv. He stated that a dielectric union was required in between the galv. & the brass valve. 2010 California plumbing code does say "dielectric unions shall be used at all points of connection where there is a dissimilarity of metals". So I guess it's letter of the law but has anyone ever done this or heard of anyone requiring this? And I'd love to know a what he wants to do at every brass hose bib & brass angle stop!?

Thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in Washington State, but I have never heard of the plumbing code being interpreted that way.
    You must have at least 21 galvanized to brass connections in your home.

Thanks for the reply Terry. I too am a plumbing contractor & have installed a ton of water heaters but this is a first. I have contacted the building department to get more info from the senior inspector, waiting for his answer. California is not fun

Blog Entries

I think we need a photo of the install, and the name of the senior inspector.

2 hours after an email to the senior inspector requesting clarification the job site inspector called with a sudden change of heart on the matter. Other than an upset client, upset general contractor, loony inspector & a confused plumber (me) were back in business.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk99 View Post
    2 hours after an email to the senior inspector requesting clarification the job site inspector called with a sudden change of heart on the matter. Other than an upset client, upset general contractor, loony inspector & a confused plumber (me) we're back in business.
    Thanks for the update. That makes me feel a lot better. I was worried that everything plumbers have done for the last 150 years was wrong.