flooded basement/cleanup opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
In a week we had 15" or more of snow, then a quick thaw to continuous rain, then an ice storm WTF! My Liberty 1/2hp sub was overwhelmed and when I got up at 7:30 it was 3" deep and at 10:30 the pump finally caught up and cycled...So anyways, it sat for 6 days then a rapid cleanout. We then placed a couple fans, dehumidifier with no heat for a couple days then heat and it's pretty dry down there now. I have a few spots in question & wondering if I should remove the furring strip(PITA) and trim a couple inches of the insulation? It seems nasty? TIA! Oh and Happy New Year everyone....I know it was for us...

Attachments

• back wall at corner.jpg
    back wall at corner.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 294
  • back wall under shelf.jpg
    back wall under shelf.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 299

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the wood will be fine. Replace the lower insulaton. You may want to paint the wood with Zerolac which acts as a stain block. They use that on fire damaged wood to seal it to prevent it from smelling.

Billfig

Reaction score
We used bleach n water but I now find vinegar works better. I should be able to "reclean" with white vinegar now should'nt I?? Thanks

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Bleach will make mold look better, but it will not kill it.

Having grown up in the Seattle area, those pictures look pretty "normal"...

Billfig

Reaction score
Yea..I guess I just want to make sure I at least get it all cleaned once or so as a good measure. My wife n sister mopped the concrete floor & used toilet brushes around the edges and wall studs. They used straight bleach then cut it with water this past Sunday. Now I read vinegar gets deeper so I grabbed a gallon today but since read horror stories on mixing? We never rinsed anything with straight water(I kinda hate to??) I'd like to redo and switch to vinegar but just not sure/clear of any unwanted effects if I just spray it all good again? I'm very anxious to get all my stuff back into the basement which has been occupying my 2 car garage! lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks