How to connect new tub drain to old 1&1/2 brass drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Willhelm

Reaction score
tub drain.jpg

I am replacing a tub and will be adding a new drain. I will have to remove the old brass trap as well as brass drain. I don't know what type of drain assembly to use (PVC,ABS,copper) or how i can connect it to the 1&1/2 brass drain pipe exiting to the left of the picture. Basically, I'll be removing everything in the picture and will be left with the brass drain pipe on the left. So, I have to replace the drain & overflow on the tub and tie into the brass 1&1/2 pipe exiting picture on left (after trap). What's the best way to go about this?? Thanks Bill

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a shield coupling that goes between copper sizings and plastic.
The type of plastic will be determined by the waste and overflow you buy.

mission_ck22.jpg

Like this but for 1-1/2"

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go with PVC or ABS drain set and trap. Use the coupling mentioned above to connect to the waste line on the left (must be PVC or ABS to copper).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks