(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Handheld Shower Diverter in Stall Shower

Default Handheld Shower Diverter in Stall Shower

I want to install an optional handheld shower in a shower stall and need a 2-way diverter to switch between the handheld and the fixed shower head. Who makes such a diverter, preferably with 1/2" sweat inlet and outlets?

What about just a pushbutton diverter tee at the end of the shower arm? These are available anywhere.

That won't work for me, as I have to make it accessible to a person who is partially handicapped and needs to sit down in the shower. I want to install a diverter valve directly above the main control valve. I suppose I could cap off one of the outlets on a 3-way diverter.

Default diverter

If you are going to install it in the wall, many companies make a two way diverter, and ALL of them tell you not to cap the third outlet on a three way diverter.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model? I failed to find one in the Delta or Kohler online catalogues. A Google search turns up hundreds of irrelevant links.

By searching in Google for "2-way in-wall diverter" I found the American Standard 1660.440, which will do the job. It costs more than the Delta 1704 thermostatic control valve, probably reflecting the absence of competition in diverters.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Most of the companies make them...if you don't match the brand and the style to what you have, the handle won't match, but that may not be a big factor.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Electrical Contractor Chris Tittle's Avatar

Thumbs up Handheld diverter

I'm in the process of converting my shower to ADA compliant. I was able to purchase a Delta setup for a tub/shower that is ADA compliant and just routed the tub spout outlet to the desired location to attach the wand. My plumber inspected the installation when I had him out to install my floor and shower drain in my slab. According to him it'll work fine.

Chris