Empty Well tank, Pressure gauge completely off, After cold snowy weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremiah S

Reaction score
[CLOSED] Empty Well tank, Pressure gauge completely off, After cold snowy weather.

First off, i would like to say hello to everyone on the Forums, this being the first time posting on this particular forum, i am a tad bit nervous so if you could all kindly be polite if i missed something or have placed this thread in the incorrect portion of the Forum. I know very little on plumbing, and am much better at electrical issues (Working on becoming an electrical engineer...) with that being said, i do not know many terms in this area, nor do i know as much as many of you fellow people, and thus i am asking this question.

During this massive snow storm that a major part of the country is having, our water stopped working. Thinking it was frozen pipes, we simply decided to wait it out. After a day or so of no change, and water not working anywhere, inside or out, i started to suspect that it wasn't just a frozen pipe. After finding a mouse inside the control box, and one of the wires being chewed, we replaced that. Still having doubts that was the issue, the wire was still connected; the insulation had just been chewed off. We put back the unit to its rightful position, (Yes, we did turn the power off before taking it off...) it still did not work. I then realized, the pressure gauges needle was on the other side of the pin it sits on when it is at zero (It had completed a 359*, 360* if you don't want to count the pin.) The tank being empty, i found this rather odd. We then removed the relay cover to check if anything was wrong there. Nothing we could visually see, it wasn't stuck, it could move back and forth when pushed. We turned on the power, and nothing happened. we decided to see if the system worked at all, so with an insulated screw river, we physically pushed the relay. This, starting the system, immediately pushed water out of the pressure safety valve. (The pipe layout goes in order: a strait pipe from pump to house, a T placed into this strait pipe which immediately goes into pressure safety valve, then to the pressure relay, and then to the tank.) Anyone have any idea why it will not fill the tank? (BTW, it is a Diaphragm tank, 35-50 gallons, cant remember...) I would assume it would be a clog, but where? At this point the pipe to the house doesn't matter, and there is only at most two feet of pipe in between the safety vale and the tank, leaving a very small area for a clog. And why do we not get any water at the house? If i have left anything out, or anyone has further questions, just say/ask.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your pressure switch could have been tweaked at the same time the gauge froze and wrapped all the way around. If you disconnect the switch from the line it should close the points and start the pump. If it doesn’t then the switch is not closing on low pressure and needs to be replaced.

Because of this last bought of “global warming” LOL, my first answer is ITS FROZEN. It sounds like the pipe to the tank is frozen and maybe the line to the pressure switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks