definition

Users who are viewing this thread

adelita

Reaction score
Hello,
I was reading your reviews on toilets. We are in process of getting ready to remodel our bathroom. In your descriptions of the Toto toilets you say 12" rough in. I see on other toilets 10" rough in. What does rough in mean? Is that something that is a concern for new home construction, or also for remodeling/replacing fixtures?
Thanks for this forum - I've learned a lot!!
Adelita

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It definitely is something that you and your plumber have to get together on.

The definition of the toilet rough-in dimension is the distance from the FINISHED wall surface to the center of the toilet mounting flange (measure to the mounting bolt holes.)

So, if the wall is to be finished with one layer of ½" drywall, the plumber would rough in the flange at 12½" from the studs. ( or 10½"). If the wall is to be done in some other material, for example if it were proposed to be tile over a backer, the plumber would have to have this specification.

Now, here's where you come in. You get to choose the toilet. Almost all toilets installed today are 12" rough-in. If you rough at 12, you will have the greatest selection available to you. When would you use 10? Possibly in a small room where a little extra clearance for a door opening will be advantageous. No problem. You can get a good toilet, but some models or styles may not be available to you in 10.

adelita

Reaction score
Thanks Jiimbo! Now I need to figure out if my current toilet is 12, and go from there.
adelita

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
10"

A "true" 10" toilet will not be any smaller than a 12" one, the opening is just moved 2" further back. If they take a 12" toilet bowl and put a 10" tank on it, then the front will move 2" further back.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For example, Toto makes some toilets that are installed with an adapter - same toilet, but the selected adapter lets them be installed as 10, 12, or 14". You select the adapter to suit your needs. They also make other toilets that do not use adapters specifically (and only) set up to work at a specified rough-in. Depending on the specific toilet, correctly installed, there can be anywhere from slightly more than 0 to maybe an inch of clearance behind the toilet and the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks