Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How long do disposers last?

Eight years is about right. After that, the blades are pretty dull and they quit dicing up the food into small enough bits.

disposer_broken_top.jpg

I was called out because they had water when they used the sink. There was a hole about the size of a quarter near the top, but when I tried to remove it from the collar, the entire disposer dropped off in my hands!

disposer_new.jpg

A new disposer. Looks nicer!

Seattle area replacements

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yikes!

Assuming that that new one is a brand you would recommend, which one is it? Good to know for future reference...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers like Insinkerator. You can get accessories for them at most any hardware store, like new collars.

Being a plumber, I pick up the Pro versions, but hardware variety are good too.
http://terrylove.biz/8_insinkerator

The disposer above, being an older picture is a Badger 5 by Insinkerator. That's my basic contractor grade replacement.
If someone has a little more to spend, then something in the Evolution series or Pro series.
More warranty, quieter, and longer lasting cutting blades.

Pro750
3/4 HP
6-Year warranty
Auto-Reverse

Seattle area installations

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My last one looked like that model in the first post...one day I turned it on, heard something, looked underneath, and it had entirely sheared itself off from the drain and was hanging there by the plumbing. It looked like there was a lot of undissolved DW dry detergent in there, which may have aided its demise. I switched to a liquid, and soon after, a DW that had the ability to heat the water when necessary, and things have been good, at least for now. The ISE brand and the cobranded stuff they make for others seems nice, and is particularly easy to swap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks