(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Answer on waterproofing showers for Roberto Birtulescu of EuroCerob - Montreal

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Just-A-Drip "A sad, tiny, little man and a joke of New York"

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipple
    You are an embarrassment I'm sure to the state.
    Not as much as you are to your peers in the tile world.

Remember,hatred goes both ways.

"eh?" wasn't a dig at all. You can replace with ",huh?" or whatever. For someone who constantly calls other people names (fat, lazy, old, morons, etc.) and then you get upset over eh? really???

I guess you can't disprove my point, so you write it off. You are asking the city hall the wrong question anyway. The real question is : Hey, I connected this drain to an existing line and have not tested it. Do I need to? If so, how do I test it? Every code that I have read (even Canadian) will reference either 10ft (or 3m) held for 15 minutes for the DWV test. I've said it 100 times already but the fact is that your inspectors may not care about this connection. Fine...but you are kidding yourself if you think that your flood test is also testing that connection. Unless to put 5 psi on it (or a 10' column) you are not testing it. Simple as that. You always talk about doing better than code..so what's the problem actually testing this? You say flood tests (when required) are too short. You say 'Oh..we need to do 72hr because that is better'. Now, in this case, the 10' minimum is "too much" and 2" instead is more than adequate. By that logic, we should only do a 2 minute flood test since if that is okay, it should be fine for longer, right? Doesn't make any sense at all...

Your test is equivalent to Roberto's and that is my point. You aren't doing anything 'better' nor is his method 'wrong'. Both do the job of the flood test.

Yes, I've worked with the inspectors (in fact all of them for this city). Most seem to only know a little bit about just certain aspects of the code. If you ask hj, he will tell you that most plumbing inspectors are plumbers that couldn't hack it in the plumbing biz. I've called to ask a question and would have to give them the section number of the code book so they could check. They had no idea otherwise. So, calling city hall doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Sorry guys , you wouldn't believe what a day I've had .......... First I was going to a new house and while the carpenters were working I've told them , '' before I could go in I want to see the floor tested , structurally . I can't rely on the engineer from the manufacturer , especially with theirs recommendations . Throw them in the dumpster '' , say I , '' and bring the crane over here so I can put 2 pallets of tiles and some 1 1/4'' stone counter top on them to see what deflection we have '' . He looked at me , you know .... throw you off the balcony look and before he could say anything , I shout at him :

" And do it for 3 days while I go have some coffee with the inspector "

Oh man ....what a day ....

So I am late to this thread , again . I was caught behind , guess what ....... my own curb .With my Ladder on the other side , I called for help , and called ......but I think ....yeah , I remember now........ the plumber hits my ladder kaboom and says '' this tile guy shouldn't even build showers ........ with such curbs ........ and then leaves .
    What to do , what to do .......had no choice , remembering the flooding man , I've opened all the valves , flood the shower and safely float over the 10' curb .

Oh man ....I would tell you more , but the flooding police will come and say .... You're flood test is wrong . 10' is not necessary ..... I don't know what I would've done with 2'' of water behind a 10' curb ...... I really don't .

Believe you me , I am installing tiles in the shower and I am thinking no curb or waterproofing man is better . Talking about feelings .... I don't know , I probably am old school and don't listen much , but I know my codes . You want me to provide with a link , eh ? ..... Probably not .

I have no such paper from the city , but after 72 hours of standing water I think I've seen some wild life forming ........ I better call the wild life protection guys . Codes doesn't address it yet , so while waiting , I will have a tea for a change .
    Roberto

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

For the same reason why the joints and vents of a drainage system need (or at least should) be tested beyond their normal use is the same reason why a WH is tested to 300psi, and has a safety valve that opens at 150psi...worst case, variations in build quality, and a margin of safety. It is a worst case failure point, like a line in the sand that should never be crossed. Same idea with a shower flood test...a shower never has more water in it for anywhere as near as long as on a flood test. How long is the average shower - maybe if you have a bunch of teenagers and an unlimited size WH, maybe a few hours a day...then, the thing dries out if it is built properly, and even faster if it has a surface membrane installed properly.

That some feel 72-hours is required, are somewhat deluded. That they do it, is fine by me, but still deluded as long as I don't have to pay for it. If it isn't going to leak in 24-hours, when used as a shower and not a bathtub, it will never leak if it is built properly.

Head pressure is a reality, and yes, increasing it can make a joint leak that wouldn't think of leaking at a lower pressure (like some water in between the grains of sand and cement in a slab - or a thin layer of thinset). For rough approximations, 0.5#/foot of standing water (it's lower than that) is where the 5# on a 10' column of water comes from. So, say you have 3" of standing water in your shower...that's barely 1/8#, a far cry from 5#.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Justadrip View Post
    Not as much as you are to your peers in the tile world.

Remember,hatred goes both ways.
    JW is an embarrassment not just to his peers in the tile world, but to other Canadians as well (I'm one). It amazes me he still has customers, given the level of crazy in his many postings here (and his long history of such postings elsewhere).

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I think I will look for the censor button . If you want to waterprove -- ranting , pick on each other , etc -- yourselves there is a special thread for it .

Press --->>>http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...proofing/page2<<<--- Press

This is MY thread.
    Roberto

Blog Entries

Default Best waterproofed showers in Montreal - Answers you will not find on John Bridge.com

Default Answers you will not find on John Bridge.com

I guess the censor button doesn't work Leave it alone , John .

Please take the '' abusive '' comments to the proper thread .

Now , I respect all members involved with John Bridge Forum and I will repeat it again . John Bridge is a fair member of the forum . I am glad to be part of the best tile forum .......NO MORE TRUMPING OF JOHN BRIDGE ON MY THREAD.
    Roberto

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple
    Now if you stop flood testing your work - I'm going to call you a hack as well. I think this is allowed on a discussion where members share their feelings and thoughts. This thread is a discussion and while the men of the John Bridge form come here to give me a hard time I can use the opprtunnity to show them off for who they are.
    I may stop doing that to p___ you o__ , but then I can't change the way you think , right ? I will keep trying .......

The discussions in between members -- HAVE nothing against it -- SURE . ......BUT on particular -- read personal -- subjects , especially on this thread which you created with the personal tags -- DO NOT DO IT....PLEASE -- .

IT is not appropriate and bother me the most .....MORE then not flooding a shower
    Roberto

Blog Entries

Have you goggled "Leveling for Porcelain Tile"

John Bridge's discussion USED to come up first in a goggle search. Now it's the one on Terry's site, here. See how fun this is. Can you pick the next one to chat about. There is such a gap in info over there I'm sure we can redo almost all their post in time. Jim was always complaining that I'm the only Pro here, and clearly we have two in the house now.
    No I did not . Discussions about Tile leveling or similar are constantly discussed on John Bridge Forum daily . I am not interested in the google standings or statistically numbers.

My number one goal Roberto is to inform everyone that a flood test is required and should be done. The reason for this is to make an effort to improve the industry and reduce landfill waste. As long as you don't have issues with that - then you and I should get along nice.
    I agree .

IS it OK to blast The Big Red Shoe here or do you want me to be nice to him as well.
    Not in here . I would say -- be nice -- but I know you will not listen .
    Roberto

Blog Entries