Temporary dishwasher install during a remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

fihzy

Reaction score
I am about to remodel my kitchen and it occurred to me I could temporarily lug the dishwasher down in to the basement and possibly hook it up for operation down there? I have a laundry tub down which has a hot and cold water feed and I was wondering whether I could just connect in to the hot water feed supplying the laundry tub and leave the washer waste hose just in the tub? Or is the water from the dishwasher likely to be exiting the dishwasher under too much pressure?

Any help appreciated!

Picture needs rotating, sorry about that.

IMG_3828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Houptee

Reaction score
Is the trap under the laundry sink plastic with the slip joint nuts?
You could get a plastic kitchen sink trap with the dishwasher connection hose barb and put it under the laundry sink hook it to that.
If you just put it in the sink you better clamp it somehow so it doesn't whip around and fly out of the sink when the pump starts ejecting.

fihzy

Reaction score
Here's what is underneath. It looks like I might need something like this so branch the hot water line?

IMG_3832.jpg

There should no tape on those threads. The supply lines come with a rubber cone washer that seals. Using tape on the faucet threads can create a leak.
Terry

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Houptee

Reaction score
Where the hot water shut off valve is you can get a Tee made to thread onto the valve so your flex hoses splits to the sink and also to the dishwasher.

They have them at Home Depot called BrassCraft 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. Compression x Compression T-fitting
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...T2-666X-P/202495893?keyword=supply+valve+tee#

For the drain get a sink Tailpiece that has the dishwasher WYE barb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DBHL-1-1...c-Dishwasher-Wye-Tailpiece-HPP9816/100347489#

bruceha2000

Reaction score
Or, use your two hands. Or the kids two (or more??) hands, if you have them ;)

The parts houptee suggested will work. I used one of those "add a faucet" Tees to add an under sink water filter to the cold water line. The tail piece with dishwasher Tee is standard equipment and very cheap. You might already have one under the kitchen sink you can "borrow" since it will not be in use anyway unless you have a disposal the dishwasher drained to.

If you choose to do the "hose in the sink" method that hp suggested, make sure you have a way to fasten it down so it doesn't shoot out and make a big mess.

How long is this remodel? Is it REALLY worth hauling the dishwasher down to the basement and back again? When we did a remodel 20+ years ago, we did the dishes in the bathtub. It was on the first floor and close to the kitchen, lots more convenient than going to the basement.

Bruce

Reach4

Reaction score
I would put some kind of filter over the output hose, such as the old pantyhose trick or a washing machine lint filter, to catch any larger food solids.

Houptee

Reaction score
When we did our kitchen remodel we used a lot of paper plates, and most meals were take out food since there was nowhere to hook up the oven safely. The gas grill was used a lot too, or it was Chinese, fast food, and pizza many nites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks