Generals or specifics talks with John Whipple -- showers , waterproofing.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Johnwhipple said:
Quote Originally Posted by eurob View Post
What is your profession John , plumber or tile installer ?
I'm a General Contractor who sets tile, waterproofs, drywall, low voltage.

Most people can not afford my day rates for tile setting so I only tile about 10% of my builds.

Some might say I'm a Pro Shit Disturber.

Jim goes on and on like a broken record. Never wrong that guy.

EuroB I know you have a love on for John Bridge as well. Did you not just get back from Reno for training with the gang. Maybe show us what you do here on Terry's before shooting off your peak. I've been showing off work and helping people here for six plus years. You have six posts. I would guess if I was interested enough to look most like Just A Drips posts will be crying about me hurting Jim's or John Bridge's feelings.

If memory serves me right you and Bill Vincent are buddy buddy's. If memory serves me right in the NTCA linked'in group you failed to pipe up about Bill's oversight on flood testing requirements. I see you have 1,300 plus posts on John's forum. Roberto Right?

Now unlike most of fakes over there I'm glad you have a link to a real web site. Photo's look like they are from this generation (unlike most of the old timers over there showing work from the 40's). So I'd be interested in your take on this business about shower building.

You are from Montreal Roberto - so clearly you are required to flood test all your projects. Any photo's of this step? Seams to be something all you John Bridge boys skip or don't discuss in public forums. Do you tend to hang out in the "Deep End" or the "Shallow End" on John Bridge's forum? Do you find that degrading? thise terms like I?

eurob said:
John , I will address it only this one time .

I've been doing tile and stone installations for 25 years and seen most of commercial and residential world of it . I can go from regular , simple grids of square tiles to very complex patterns and level of installation of mosaics , stones , slabs , tiles of different types , including mapping of floors , mud beds , self leveling , waterproofing , design for production ,etc...

I am not here to educate or show off or else to anyone ....... I was here -- on this forum -- only to ask about a concern I've had , that's it . Somehow 2 of the threads -- one of them being this one -- cross linked with both forums -- TerryLove & JohnBridge -- and got me curious and browse thru them . While reading this one , I was really disgusted at the way you personally attack Jim . I don't know him , nor is a friend and even if we had some different arguments in the past in a different forum , I would never allow myself to bulldoze my free thinking over someone , on an open forum , especially that most of it can easily be taken out of context . He is well intentioned and he is respectful of others .

John Bridge tile forum is the best one out there for tiles and it is geared especially for DIY . I like to post there and the interaction with talented and professional members is rewarding . I will stop you there ....don't even think or assume about monetary or financial benefits . Members with lots of years of experience in installations , technical committees , reps from mfgs , etc interact and exchange opinions , which allows me to see different angles of the trade .

I am considering any tile installer as part of a big family --- tile and stone installers , setters , mechanics --- and assuming that Bill , John or etc. are my buddies is right. They are experienced installers which don't need me or others to tell them what to do or how do it ........on the contrary can tell others what or how do tile installations or waterproofing .......

I know waterproofing is one of your most argued subjects and not getting into it with you is very simple . I assume you know it . It is more important to believe and deliver the product to clients than over arguing it with everyone . Assuming what others say vs. what they do is another waste of time .

Shallow end , deep end , no end has some specific guidelines which should be met . Some members have more latitude in theirs comments and moderators or owners could do or impose what they want . You , me are just guests of theirs site , nothing else . Deleting some of my posts changed my thinking of the importance of posting and made me look in a different angle(s) at the subject . No one is asking me to post in forum threads and very often ,as an example , help is voluntary . I think posting should have boundaries and the most important , respect .

JohnWhipple said:
Quote Originally Posted by eurob View Post
John , I will address it only this one time . ...
OK Roberto (EuroB). That seams to be the John Bridge forum member goto policy. Does this mean you are going to leave us now and run away? Or does it mean you will only address my beef with Jim this once and then leave it between us like the rest of the regulars do?

You have not been around here for six plus years and read the countless debates Jim and I have had. You do not know the little game Jim plays and his constant promotion of one product Kerdi. It sickens me. He sits there in his lame little office answering questions about everything under the sun with no real life experience. He talks about overbuilding like its a crime. Even said that a house could fall down once or something like that - called it Creep or something. The man is a tool. Needs help.

To say we need to offer up advice that is product specific based on manufactures recommendations is a joke. Sorry it is.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
….You are from Montreal Roberto - so clearly you are required to flood test all your projects. Any photo's of this step? Seams to be something all you John Bridge boys skip or don't discuss in public forums. Do you tend to hang out in the "Deep End" or the "Shallow End" on John Bridge's forum? Do you find that degrading? thise terms like I?….
Now Roberto. Do you have any examples of a flood test you can share with us. Until you can prove to me that you actually build properly (IE Flood Tests) then I can only assume you know part of what you need to know. Going to Reno to get trained by John Bridge is not experience and not anything I would brag about. Pretty sure you where one of the gang that went to Reno for JB Training. John Bridge is really piling on the weight - or maybe the camera added 100 pounds….

People come here to solve problems. Learn from pros - NOT Joe's, or Jim's. People can goggle manufactures install sheets all by themselves, they don't need Jim reposting the obvious.

So as Jim continues to send people away from Terry's site I will continue to tear into him. He is a smart boy, he should have been able to figure this out himself.

Unlike Jim. I work on the tools everyday. I build showers. I feel that sharing my trouble shooting techniques helps people. So I'll continue to show off my work, my builds and the daily viewers here and those who come looking for advice can read through the advice given here. There are two styles. Mine and Jim's. Terry and Jim's. H.J.'s and Jim's.

Now me, Terry and H.J. are all pros. Jim's a Joe. It's clear to anyone looking long enough here. Try this. Go to Jim's profile and read his last 40 posts. From fixing popcorn machines to reformatting hard drives. Jim knows best.

JW

eurob said:
Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple
OK Roberto (EuroB). That seams to be the John Bridge forum member goto policy. Does this mean you are going to leave us now and run away? Or does it mean you will only address my beef with Jim this once and then leave it between us like the rest of the regulars do?

You have not been around here for six plus years and read the countless debates Jim and I have had. You do not know the little game Jim plays and his constant promotion of one product Kerdi. It sickens me. He sits there in his lame little office answering questions about everything under the sun with no real life experience. He talks about overbuilding like its a crime. Even said that a house could fall down once or something like that - called it Creep or something. The man is a tool. Needs help.

To say we need to offer up advice that is product specific based on manufactures recommendations is a joke. Sorry it is.

Since this is not a thread -- yours nor mine -- to debate personal matters , I did let you know about my intentions .

Leave us or run away from what ? Like I said , free thinking should be censored by the self ones in public written forum, that's my take on things anyway .

I did some reading on this site last night and it seems that it is not the only thread where my comments '' disrespectful .........'' could also be easily attached . No comment is probably best .

Manufactures recommendations are important from a novice or DIY POV and sometimes you need to keep them focused on understanding the rules in the book . If I tell them they can mix this with the other , even if the rep told me to do it , should I tell them ? I don't think it is a good idea , besides you can never be sure of the main reason(s) of others .

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple
Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
….You are from Montreal Roberto - so clearly you are required to flood test all your projects. Any photo's of this step? Seams to be something all you John Bridge boys skip or don't discuss in public forums. Do you tend to hang out in the "Deep End" or the "Shallow End" on John Bridge's forum? Do you find that degrading? thise terms like I?….
Now Roberto. Do you have any examples of a flood test you can share with us. Until you can prove to me that you actually build properly (IE Flood Tests) then I can only assume you know part of what you need to know. Going to Reno to get trained by John Bridge is not experience and not anything I would brag about. Pretty sure you where one of the gang that went to Reno for JB Training. John Bridge is really piling on the weight - or maybe the camera added 100 pounds….
When I do the waterproofing and no plumber is involved , yes flood tests are done .

Name: Shower flooding tests 018.jpg Views: 14 Size: 55.8 KB

I am not looking nor need to prove myself to you . The picture replace the assumption part .

No Reno for me -- did the Schluter class in Montreal -- , can't afford the travel expenses plus when I have work , it needs to be done .

On a last note .....Meeting new people , interactions with them is just a personal gain , like learning a language . Before you say I don't needed , think how much can reward your own self . If you assume what they will tell you and believe in it , then there is no point in doing it .

JohnWhipple said:
Roberto - I thank you for the picture. It is a simple request and one most every other tile man I have asked can not produce. Like Jim for example, we never see the bathrooms (I think 2) he built nor any other pictures of his work.

You picture shows what looks like a flanged ACO linear shower drain and a Wedi shower pan floor. I bet your glad ACO says "ANY WATERPROOFING PRODUCTS" can be used. It also looks like you are using my tipped coin measuring device.

So it appears by this photo I have already helped you improve your game.

My attacks on Jim and John Bridge are my opinions. My BAD. When these men earn any respect from me - it will be given back. I doubt that day will ever come. So if my poor taste in personal attacks bother you then please stop reading my posts. But if you want to learn from me, debate with me, discredit me or shoot the shit with me - it would be great to have another tile pro here on Terry's site.

I will warn you that John Bridge does not like any of his members writing here. I think the posts further help beat his discussions lower in the google rankings or something.

I copied some of the discussion here so it can continue more appropriately -- feels that way -- , without unrelated interference on other members posts and concerns .

Link can be found here -- https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?55096-Tile-detaching-from-Wedi-shower-pan -- .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JohnWhipple said:
Roberto - I thank you for the picture. It is a simple request and one most every other tile man I have asked can not produce. Like Jim for example, we never see the bathrooms (I think 2) he built nor any other pictures of his work.

You picture shows what looks like a flanged ACO linear shower drain and a Wedi shower pan floor. I bet your glad ACO says "ANY WATERPROOFING PRODUCTS" can be used. It also looks like you are using my tipped coin measuring device.

So it appears by this photo I have already helped you improve your game.

My attacks on Jim and John Bridge are my opinions. My BAD. When these men earn any respect from me - it will be given back. I doubt that day will ever come. So if my poor taste in personal attacks bother you then please stop reading my posts. But if you want to learn from me, debate with me, discredit me or shoot the shit with me - it would be great to have another tile pro here on Terry's site.

I will warn you that John Bridge does not like any of his members writing here. I think the posts further help beat his discussions lower in the google rankings or something.

Shower flooding tests 018.jpg Photo reloaded as original post .

Actually this linear drain is the Schluter tile grate model . The materials used for waterproofing , besides Kerdi fix , have nothing to do with the Schluter's products . I don't mind not having their warranty since the leaks are on me . No leaks or water level drops for way past the 72hours , so I guess I can get your approval , right ? LOL

I've used twice the ACO linear drains , but I didn't like the non flanged one . Pretty difficult to properly do the waterproofing , but not impossible . Any waterproofing products can be used with success if are done right . If someone is looking for a specific warranty -- ex.manufacturer warranty -- , they should stick with only their recommendations addressed in their literature .
The grate fits like a charm and easy to use or remove for future cleaning .

I've always use marked reference lines for monitoring the water levels on flood tests and don't like the coin measuring device . If the coin is tipped it may work better but I prefer the accuracy of marked lines to specific levels .

I wouldn't go into personal debates about other members -- on this site or other ones -- on personal level .

In fairness of giving you a sincere answer about John Bridge ....... from my experience being a member on JBF and after reading his posts -- not all of them -- I can say He is a smart , educated and fair person . I also like his writing style .....ok that's it , no more to follow on this subject .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Hey John , could you tell me from the dozens of waterproofing showers you are doing every year how many of them are leaking -- during flood tests -- ? Just curious ....

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Why do you think his plug is wrong? No-hub is just a connection style. If it doesn't leak, it is okay. The other style that you listed is needed in a traditional shower build and put bellow the weep holes. I really hope that you aren't trying to test the no-hub connection for leaks with this method. Plumbing code requires all DWV plumbing to be tested with a minimum of a 10ft water column (some piping can be tested with air instead, but it is generally not allowed with plastic piping).

BTW: I have both plug types..and yes, I flood tested the shower that I built, even though it isn't required. I was a bit surprised that they inspect the screw pattern for drywall (before you can mud/tape), but when I asked about the shower flood test, they said that they don't look at that.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You see John , my curiosity about your shower leaks -- test floods -- was only to understand why you keep doing it even if you don't have any leaks after years of waterproofing installations .

johnfrwhipple said:
I had hoped you had come to help out here and was giving you some slack. But since it looks like you want to use my name in a public thread and go about giving me some love, lets talk about your flood test you show there.

You do know you flood tested that Kerdi Line shower wrong - Right? Wrong test plug….

Just saying.

So Roberto that plug is OK when you use it with a traditional clamping drain and the side press against the 2"ABS pipe. But since your Kerdi Line uses a no-hub fitting. You did it wrong.

I created this thread to properly talk to you -- not over other members threads (concerns ) -- and the last time I checked all the threads are public . If you don't want me to use your name , I would ask -- if I cannot do it myself -- to be removed from the thread's name .

The linear drain in the photo has a 3'' long SS pipe attached to the channel from the manufacturer , so the plug used is a proper one . Leaks were not present , so I will give you a slack.

johnfrwhipple said:
Now in Montreal I know only one other tile pro. Hugo Sanchez. Do you know Hugo? He works with Kerdi all the time. In fact he only uses it. When I called Schluter looking for Line Drain installs for my presentation at Build Ex a number of years ago they gave me his name. Funny, they did not mention you at all.

In Montreal - the only true I know is Hugo Sanchez. He keeps winning the TTMAC awards year after year,

Check out his web site.

http://www.hugotiles.com

HUGOTILES

All his awards are located on the bottom of each page.

Anything else you want to talk about Roberto? Let me now if you need Hugo's email address, maybe he can help you find a proper test plug.

I am not using only Schluter products . If you are looking for an installer which uses only theirs products , I can say you have found the one . I am not worry about TTMAC and their awards don't even reflect 1% of the beauties and professional projects done every day by competent installers across Canada .

I was under the impression that you want me to participate in this forum and as I stated in the thread's name , it is my understanding of a proper communication . I regret that you see it ( assume ) that it is a confrontational one . Far from it .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Don't flatter yourself . Help is a big word and if I need one from you , definitely I would know how to ask for it .

It sees that everything else get to a personal level with you , cool your jets as some would say .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Yeah John , unfortunately looks that way -- p....m.....-- , not my intention at all .

I can only congratulate you on your stars , but if houzz allows you to comment and write about and include other members photos , that' fine with me . I really don't look forward to write about others projects , including their photos in my articles .

I will constantly look to improve myself and knowledge is one of my assets , at least what concerns tiles and stones installations . Not looking forward to a contest of statistical type . If I can help , really help 2 or 3 members , than I can say I accomplish what the membership to this forum really is all about .

Guy48065

Reaction score
Some people are just cranks and make the forum less pleasant for the rest of us. It's better to simply ignore them than try to "out" them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks