(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto toilet 14" adaptor...13.5" drain...math Q!

Default Toto toilet 14" adaptor...13.5" drain...math Q!

Hi all,

I purchased a Carolina II Toto with 14" adaptor, as the old apartment drain is 13.5" from center. The plumber argued with me and told me to "settle down" while he "explained" to me that the 12" standard flange would work, with the toilet being 1/2" from the wall.

Of course the toilet is not 1/2" from the wall now...it's at 1 3/4" from the wall.

He then told me that the 14" adaptor cannot be used, as the drain is at 13.5". I know this is not true, as Terry wrote about installing a 14" adaptor on a 13.5" drain.

My GC wants to have the toilet redone using the 14" adaptor, but if the toilet is currently 1 3/4" from the wall with the 12" flange, would the 14" adaptor move it back more than the available 1 3/4"?

Thanks for any help!

-Lyn

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The math and apparent reality don't add up! There's no way that toilet would be 1-3/4" from the wall IF the rough-in is 13.5" and the 12" rough-in was used. Normally, when everything is perfect, there's about 3/4" behind the toilet to the wall. So, if your rough-in is truly 0.5" short, you'd subtract that from the 'normal' clearance, and it should sit 1/4" from the wall IF the 14" adapter was used and the rough was really 13.5".

The rough-in is measured from the finished wall to the center of the rough-in (not the baseboard).
    Last edited by jadnashua; 01-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I had thought the gap using the 12" rough in would be 2.25", so I was surprised at the missing 1/2". I measured from the wall to the back of the tank lid and got 1 3/4".

The GC and plumber both measured the drain, without baseboards, at 13.5".

The back wall must be 1/2" out of true, which wouldn't surprise me. But it does seem to indicate that I won't be able to use the 14" adaptor and will have to live with the 1 3/4" gap.

Blah.

If Terry says 13-1/2" will work, then take that to the bank. He has installed a ton of toilets with the Unifit adapters. These adapters are unique to Toto and to just specific models of Toto toilets, so it is almost certain your plumber has no experience with them, and I would venture to guess he is afraid of doing the installation. You should also know that a 12" rough-in toilet does not fit tight against the wall. I have 2 Toto toilets that each are mounted on exact 12" rough-in flanges, and both sit about 2" from the wall. You really don't want a toilet to set jammed against the wall anyway, it makes it difficult to remove the lid.
    Last edited by Gary Swart; 01-02-2014 at 09:58 PM.

I'm fairly confident that you can "cheat" that adapter forward a little bit more than 1/4" and thus have the toilet just almost touching the wall, if you really have only 1-3/4" behind it with the 12" adapter properly mounted. If you want more info, come back here and one of the guys who has done it can explain.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    I'm fairly confident that you can "cheat" that adapter forward a little bit more than 1/4" and thus have the toilet just almost touching the wall, if you really have only 1-3/4" behind it with the 12" adapter properly mounted. If you want more info, come back here and one of the guys who has done it can explain.
    You can find a way to make up the 1/4" with the 14".