Need help diagnosing low hot water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

kbb

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time at this forum because, well, this is my first time with a plumbing problem!

I have a bathroom with 2 sinks beside each other, and a shower at the back of the bathroom (see picture below). Last week, the hot water pressure in the shower and the 2nd sink dropped by about half, while the pressure in the first sink was unchanged. I have checked and neither faucet is clogged at the aerator. I have had debris clog up the 2nd faucet before and was able to just clear it out, but this time it's both the faucet and the shower.

I'm assuming that there is debris clogging up the line underneath my vanity, at the point between the tee for the first sink and the tee for the second. Would you agree with my conclusion?

If so, what would be the appropriate next step if you were in my position?

Thank you so much.

Kendall

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
What did your prior debris look like?

Your theory would seem to explain the clogged sink water, but not the shower.

Your third step may be to figure out how to get a whole-house filter to stop the debris coming in.

kbb

Reaction score
What did your prior debris look like?

Your theory would seem to explain the clogged sink water, but not the shower.

Your third step may be to figure out how to get a whole-house filter to stop the debris coming in.

Reach,

Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention in my original post, this bathroom is at the far opposite edge of the house of the water heater, and there are no other water fixtures anywhere in the vicinity. The shower is the only connection downstream of the 2 sinks.

The debris was white and thin and plastic in texture. I wish I had kept some and could provide a picture, but it looks like what I've seen in other posts as material that breaks off during water taps in the main.

I do think that a whole-house filter will be a definite installation after this.

Am I in a position where I need to remove the vanity and get to the pipe that I believe to be clogged? Are there maybe options worth trying before I get to that option, as I'm hoping that would be a last-resort.

Thanks in advance for your further assistance,

Kendall

Jm66208

Reaction score
Go back & re-read that thread on the white plastic debris. It's most likely a dissolving dip tube that forms the debris. Just Google it & you will find plenty of info on the subject. Might be able to pull the shower cartridge & the stop on the hot side of the vanity & flush the debris. Might need a new WH as well. No way to get that plastic out of the tank (if that's what it is).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks