(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Shower/tub trim installation help

Default Shower/tub trim installation help

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

Trying to finish up a small bathroom remodel that has taken us a long while, but unfortunately my naivety when it comes to plumbing is now rearing its ugly head at the end of all of this.

Had the rough-in for the bathroom done professionally, and having finally finished up the surround and tiling, ready to install fixtures. Currently have stubouts for the tub spout and shower arm protruding from the finished wall with black iron caps on. The protruding stub outs are threaded 3/4" brass pipe, and I'm fairly certain they are screwed into drop ears.

Am I correct in assuming I need to remove those and replace with the appropriate pipe/extension/adapter? My first question is how in the world do I go about unscrewing those out of the drop ears, given the wall is finished? Is there a trick?

Our shower arm is 1/2" male, so I don't think it will thread right into the drop ear, which is likely 3/4". I assume I can get a simple adapter for that?

The tub spout is a 1/2" slip fit. Not sure of my options in that respect...I realize I need something that would screw into the 3/4" drop ear, but then need to only have 1/2" pipe protruding from the wall.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most every drop ear 90 that plumbers install are of the 1/2" variety.
    A 1/2" pipe nipple is similar to a 3/4" copper size. My best bet is that you are all set to go for the shower arm.
    If you need a slip spout instead of a threaded nipple, you will need to remove the nipple and insert a copper pipe with a 1/2" male adaper on the end.
    If you have a Delta tub spout, that can either be a threaded or soldered connection.

Thanks Terry, I guess the first step is to remove the stub outs. Any tricks on how to do that...or just clamp down with the pipe wrench and twist with brute force?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madforrit View Post
    Thanks Terry, I guess the first step is to remove the stub outs. Any tricks on how to do that...or just clamp down with the pipe wrench and twist with brute force?
    Yeah, that's what I call myself when I remove those.
    I remove most of mine with some long handle pliers.

"Am I correct in assuming I need to remove those and replace with the appropriate pipe/extension/adapter? My first question is how in the world do I go about unscrewing those out of the drop ears, given the wall is finished? Is there a trick?"
    Sometimes you can leave them in (if they are brass or copper).

"Our shower arm is 1/2" male, so I don't think it will thread right into the drop ear, which is likely 3/4". I assume I can get a simple adapter for that?"
    Most likely it's 1/2" drop ear inside the wall, so your 1/2" shower arm will thread right into it. The same goes to the spout nipple.

Why can't you call your plumber and ask him?