Toilet vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

ragtop68rs

Reaction score
Guys, what would a toilet do if it had no vent line? I just moved a toilet and ran a new 3" drain but didn't put in vent. It seems to work fine but what problems will I see? I have not tiled the floor yet so I will be tearing it back up to add a vent. I'm going to have to run it through a couple of 2 x 10 joist. Is that ok? Thanks, John

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Guys, what would a toilet do if it had no vent line? I just moved a toilet and ran a new 3" drain but didn't put in vent. It seems to work fine but what problems will I see? I have not tiled the floor yet so I will be tearing it back up to add a vent. I'm going to have to run it through a couple of 2 x 10 joist. Is that ok? Thanks, John

Absence of a vent isn't going to make the toilet function less well. However, it will cause the toilet to siphon the traps in associated drains, raising the opportunity for sewer gas to seep into the premises. A good plumbing primer is here: Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County and here:
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/documentcenter/view/103

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks