Tile detaching from Wedi shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I use the HPG with the reinforcement mesh . or

The Mapelastic 315 with the reinforcement mesh .

Those Aqua Defense blisters look like a diseased frog LOL . Did you use the reinforcement fabric with it ?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The 315 is harder to work with but a very good product . The 8+9 is more liquid and also a very good product .

In our fast construction environment where every second counts -- read '' loosing '' money -- the concept of proper testing or proper cure or etc. is almost out the door before you come in to do the job . It is harder for you -- since you do mostly waterproofing and flood testing -- to do other things at the same place while the products are properly drying ( cure ) , ex. tile installation .

Yes temperature or rates of evaporation do play an important roll . If the blistering is bothering you so much , try to skin over the waterproofing product with GR or similar . You shouldn't get the reaction at all after that . It is why is important to get the membrane protected -- mortar , tile and grout form and are part of the assembly -- .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
The fact that the tile man will not make as much money is one of the big reasons I take so much heat from the John Bridge members. To do things right means tile men need to change the way they do most installs.

Did you know Roberto that most tile setters set tile and then grout? Instead of set tile - leave for two weeks and then grout. Allowing a tile setter to set tile and then grout is as crazy as not flood testing. Thin-sets need time to cure before grouting.

Unless of course you use a self curing thin-set.

How much of delay time you would give to a client for doing the tiles in a bathroom with a shower , besides the tile work ?

The delay time means -- allowing the materials to properly cure in between the procedural steps , test flood the shower , allow other workers like cabinet installer or glass installer ,plumber , painters to come in to theirs job too ......?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
4 weeks of stand still -- never allowed in all my years of tile or stone installations -- ? Most of the jobs do not have the proper time allowance for a proper installation .

Ram Board ........I use Fusion Board .:p

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I know I leave my snow boots over it ..... no wet area ,no soaking thru , allow moisture transition .....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All of the thinsets I've looked at say to wait at least 24-hours before grouting, depending on the temperature and humidity levels more may be required. At that point, light foot traffic is allowed. Certainly, all cement based products are still rated at full strength after 28-days, but unless there were a lot of activity expected (ladders, heavy equipment, maybe setting the vanity, etc.), waiting a week is excessive to grout. You do want to limit traffic for awhile, but I do not see a week or two as being acceptable to most clients, or DIY'ers. It certainly doesn't hurt anything except the timeline and the cost to the customer. If they're willing, whatever works for you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just like John to twist words...

What you do depends on the construction method you use. Should you be using a modified thinset, large tile, over a waterproofing membrane (I don't care whose you are using, even if it is allowed), you should wait awhile to allow the modifiers to dry out. But, done over say a mudbed or cbu where there is a path for moisture to escape, or on a wall where you can't be walking on it, allow at least the minimum time and do NOT place large loads on things until things are more stable. But, should you be using an unmodified or rapid setting thinset, in most cases you can grout after 24-hours with little risk. Avoid rolling heavy equipment, ladders, vehicles, furniture, that can create large point loads, etc. over things until the stuff has a better chance to set up.

Should you choose to use modified thinset over something like Ditra, tests have shown that the thinset hasn't properly cured and dried at over two months...the instructions and methods are defined, and if you follow them, you should not have issues.

Does it hurt to wait longer? No, and with a DIY'er, that may be more the norm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks