(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tile detaching from Wedi shower pan

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Kerdi Board and Wedi Board = crap and more crap

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Jim do you not recommend small tile over Kerdi's Foam Shower Pan?

Does Kerdi Require an Epoxy Grout?
    Wedi and the Schluter foam trays are similar but there is one huge difference. WHen using the Kerdi tray, you apply Kerdi over it. This, with the addition of two layers of thinset and the tile allow it to meet the specs of pretty much any tile you may choose to install. So, no, and because the two are not the same, there is no requirement to use an epoxy grout with the Schluter tray.

If John focused more on helping people do things right and keep the manufacturer's warranty rather than throwing darts, this would be a much more useful thread. John likes to pick and choose methods that suit him.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

If choosing a premium product and installing it per the manufacturer's recommendations is 'bare ass minimum', then, yes, I recommend that. That you feel it is 'required' to do additional steps is fine if your customer agrees, but if the product as designed is so bad, why are there so many successful installations, and happy customers? If it didn't work, the company couldn't stay in business.

Workmanship is key to any install...slip in that (maybe John has issues with that), and the extra steps might just be required to get a reliable installation. Funny part of that is, almost nobody else's experience is the same. Maybe John lives in an alternate universe.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

No quotes are necessary ........ this is one of the most disrespectful thread ( posts from one person ) I've read in many years .

Quote Originally Posted by eurob View Post
    No quotes are necessary ........ this is one of the most disrespectful thread ( posts from one person ) I've read in many years .
    I agree disgusting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MGT_M View Post
    Also I can't find my original discussion from years ago! I'll keep looking. I also must dig out the original reciepts, etc.
    Awhile back (a few years at least), somebody who seemed to have good credentials, was given moderator capabilities and one day, he deleted LOTS of stuff. He got banned, and Terry was able to restore some of the old threads, but not all. That may be the reason you can't find your old thread.
    Jim DeBruycker

FWIW, there's reasons why John Whipple is no longer welcomed at more than one website.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

I did a quick search on all of your old posts still on the board, and can't find any of them edited other than by yourself, John. About the only thing I ever deleted were duplicate posts and spamming by people trying to sell something from China.

If you actually read some of my posts, you'd see that I try to add info, background, and help people. Most of your posts are about bragging rights on how you do things. That I've been trained and have used Kerdi doesn't mean that I haven't suggested and helped people with other methods of shower building. That you disagree with Schluter and their recommendations on how to use their own product, that has hundreds of thousands of successful installations is in itself, kind of sad. Lots of smart people, doing lots of research, and many, many years and examples of well performing showers says something to me...that they know their product and how to use it. That you choose to regale me when I post and quote their handbook on how it should be installed is kind of arrogant, and I think, misinformed. That you choose to expend extra time and money on materials to strengthen an already strong product is up to you, but to blatantly state that is the only way to do it reliably is just plain false and misleading.

For a DIY'er, a foam shower pan, should it meet the size requirements, will produce a premium result. The slope is perfectly consistent across the entire panel, and is created with four perfectly flat planes so you could lay a large format tile on them without it rocking. That is VERY hard to duplicate with deckmud, should you wish to; it tends to be much more rounded. That crease is not an issue for lippage should the tile bridge the adjacent plane. The compressive strength is more than enough to support any normal usage IF the subfloor and the pan are installed properly. While a deckmud pan isn't all that hard, it is hard work, and for a DIY'er that may only ever make one of them, the uncertainty is often worth the cost of the foam pan that does work. My personal experience with one is that it is much warmer than a mudbed. Yes, those warm up fast when you run the shower, but before and after...one with the foam pan is warmer to stand on. A little thing, but nonetheless, a benefit.

Companies have a vested interest in staying in business...they can't do that with shoddy products. Schluter has been in business in the USA for over 25-years, and while they have added to the Kerdi line (corners, more drains, preformed pans, etc.), the basic construction method has remained the same because it works. A DIY'er doesn't have to worry about someone else in the trades stomping on their newly Kerdied shower, so extra layers of waterproofing or thicker material don't make a lot of sense, nor does the extra expense. If it does to you, fine, but it is not a requirement for a viable shower.
    Jim DeBruycker

What is your profession John , plumber or tile installer ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Be Tile Setter
    Most people can not afford my day rates for tile setting so I only tile about 10% of my builds.
    I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that one....