clogged drain

Users who are viewing this thread

confused1

Reaction score
I need your help, I've got a kitchen on the main floor of home that is connected to same drain as laundry tub in basement...Now it seems that when i use the kitchen sink the water backs up in both the kitchen sink and the laundry tub..I've tried to power rod the drain with a 3/4" 100ft sewer snake but the bits that came with the sewer snake were way to large b/c the drain is only about 2" thick. I only was able to fit in the spade bit but as I was doing so the float or valve inside the drain disappeared. To be honest with you I'm really not sure what that specific piece is...I was able to go the full 100ft and removed alot of grease but the drain is still clogged.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
At what point did you start snaking the drain ? Upstairs or downstairs at the clean out at the bottom of the sink drain?

The first pass with the drain cleaner you don't need to use the spade. Just use the cable.....

confused1

Reaction score
i actually started downstairs in the basement. i think this is where our secondary drain is. it is the drain for the kitchen and the laudry tub. we snake through the clean out. it is basically like a main drain but it is not our main drain.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
plugged drain

If your set up is like I think it is, when you run enough water it will back out of that clean out. And that's the best place and time to clean the drain. Isn't there a floor drain near there too? Any way, when your cleaning the drain with a little water overflowing there you will know that when the water stops overflowing that you are well on your way to clearing that drain.

100 feet should be more than enough. When you made your pass at it, the gunk inside just closed back up around your snake and the drain stayed stopped up. Make several passes at it after you get it running. If your spade is too large you can put a little kink on the front end of that snake and it will still flop around and do a good job on the drain........

RRW

Reaction score
Anyone here have an opinion on those gizmos that go on a hose, then expand to block the drain and force water down it to clean obsructions?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You better know when and when not to use one.

Last edited:

RRW

Reaction score
I presume you mean that there can be no cleanout or other pipe coming off between the device and the clog. Yes that would seem logical. Mistakes happen. I recall the time I was at a local shop where a plumber was rodding the drain, a guy came in and said "whats that thing flopping around in the front yard?". The rod had penetrated the line and come all the way up to the surface, Ha. RW

confused1

Reaction score
oh man.. i dont feel like renting the sewer snake again.. anybody know of a good cheap plumber in the chicagoland area.. but thanks for all the input

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If your looking for a cheap plumber remember you get what you pay for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks