Where does the water come from? Water keeps running in laundry room. Pls help!

Users who are viewing this thread

flapus007

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my laundry room I have a pipe that runs from time to time. (see pic, pipe is on the right, just above drain of washer)
I left the house for 3 days and turned the water to the house off. When I came back, I obv turned it back on and since then the water has been running constantly out of that pipe.
If I turn the main valve of the house off, the water stops running.

I am totally confused. I do not know why the water is constantly running since I returned. (2 days now)
I have no idea what the pipe is for or what it drains?
Please help if you can because I am totally lost on this matter.
Thank you in advance.

IMG_20131228_150558.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No idea what it is!

Do you have a filtration system (maybe a RO filter)? It could be a drain from it. What about a condensing WH or boiler?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could that be the overflow from your swamp cooler on the roof of your single-story house?

flapus007

Reaction score
We do have a water softener and a water heater.
See pic below. I think it has to do with one of those, but I did not turn any valves on or off on those units, so I am confused on WHY the water keeps running AFTER I returned from my trip.
The water to our house comes from a personal well but I do not think it has anything to do with that.
IMG_20131228_161530.jpg

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
We do have a water softener and a water heater.
See pic below. I think it has to do with one of those, but I did not turn any valves on or off on those units, so I am confused on WHY the water keeps running AFTER I returned from my trip.

Why do you think it is one of those. Sounds? Where is that water softener and heater area with respect to the washing machine area.

The softener could have started a regeneration cycle that is powered by water flow. Where does that black tubing from your water softener go? That would be the discharge from the water softener rinse and backwash cycles, but I don't know how that black tubing gets to that pipe where you said the water was discharging from.

In your first picture, I think you are describing water coming from the open end of the painted vertical pipe in the washing maching box. Is the water dripping out, or flowing out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That looks like a conventional WH, so unless they used PVC for the outlet of the T&P safety valve (they shouldn't do that, it is not rated for that purpose), it isn't the WH. Near any of those appliances, do you see a pvc pipe going into the wall, or do you have a filter somewhere (RO filters dump a moderate amount of water when processing)...you'll have to be more of a detective and drop some more clues. We can't see your house, or know your situation. The common things that often end up going down the WM drain are condensate from condensing burners, overflow from a humidifier, maybe the outlet of a humidifier, or the outlet from say the drain pan of an a/c unit. Nothing else that comes to mind requires an indirect connection like you have there.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
My guess is that the mystery pipe is possibly the overflow from the heat/AC coil. Where is the indoor part of your heat pump? Is it above the washier or in the attic and do you have a central humidifier?

Edit: oops, I just read the last post again. Sorry for being redundant.

Elque A Cooper

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my laundry room I have a pipe that runs from time to time. (see pic, pipe is on the right, just above drain of washer)
I left the house for 3 days and turned the water to the house off. When I came back, I obv turned it back on and since then the water has been running constantly out of that pipe.

I am totally confused. I do not know why the water is constantly running since I returned. (2 days now)
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 22799
Same problem ..it's this pipe on the left that keeps running. All day, everyday..HELLPPPPP

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_170102.jpg
    IMG_20200810_170102.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,030

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Condensate for A/C or something is what springs to mind but without looking I couldn’t tell you.

eramit2006

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 22799
I have the same problem, did you resolve this!?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks