(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Ryohan

Default Toto Ryohan

Looking at acquiring toilets for a Manhattan loft renovation. Initially we were going with wall mounts, but that plan has been scrapped. We want some funky, contemporary toilets for at least one or two of the bathrooms. We are thinking of the Toto Ryohan. Anyone have one/seen it in person? Views or thoughts appreciated, as well as any alternative suggestions (nothing in the Duravit collection was very interesting).

Thanks

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=410

Last edited by Terry; 12-28-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added link

The Ryohan is going to have a decent flush with double-cyclone bowl rinse. And it's gonna be available for 40% or more off list. But it's still expensive.

You might also look at the Aimes/Legato, which can be funky-ish particularly with the black seat.

The Ultramax II is a modern design as well. The Nexus is interesting, and you might look at the versions that have hand-painted decorations. (waza Miyabi)

The Aquia push-button dual-flush has a high degree of owner satisfaction...people love them.

Of course, for a real wow factor, any of the Neorest models would do. There is a G500 that's a washlet and integrated toilet that has a street price pretty close to what you would pay for the Ryohan: Model MS970CEMFG Comes with a bidet seat that lifts itself automatically, etc. That would be pretty impressive. But it's gonna take the whole 12" rough-in, so you need to be sure your flange is installed at least 12" from the finished wall and baseboard.

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail...productid=1227
    Last edited by wjcandee; 12-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Wow - $3000 list price for the Ryohan! What is up with that?

If it were me and I had that kind of money to spend on a toilet, I would go for the Neorest/washlet combo. At least there you can see why the technology would drive the price into the thousands.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why a gravity flush toilet would list for $3000.

Yeah, well, take off 40-percentish for the street price, but yeah it's still expensive. That's why I mentioned the G500.

Thanks very much wjcandee. We had given some thought to the Neorest, but as best I can tell only the new one, which retails over $6K, is an ADA height or even "comfort" height toilet. Am I correct? I am rather tall and not getting younger, and having installed ADA toilets in our last renovation we will not go back to those low seat toilets. We are using a Nexus toilet in a powder room, and a Carlyle II in another bathroom. We are were looking for something more interesting. One other question on the Neorest -- can it be used like a "normal" toilet? If we install this in a bathroom often used by guests, I do not want to have to hand out an instruction sheet for anyone using the restroom. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
    Thanks very much wjcandee. We had given some thought to the Neorest, but as best I can tell only the new one, which retails over $6K, is an ADA height or even "comfort" height toilet. Am I correct? I am rather tall and not getting younger, and having installed ADA toilets in our last renovation we will not go back to those low seat toilets. We are using a Nexus toilet in a powder room, and a Carlyle II in another bathroom. We are were looking for something more interesting. One other question on the Neorest -- can it be used like a "normal" toilet? If we install this in a bathroom often used by guests, I do not want to have to hand out an instruction sheet for anyone using the restroom. Thanks again.
    You will be happy with the Nexus and Carlyle II; we have one of the latter.

Here's the spec sheet for the MS970CEMFG that I mentioned (G500), which streets at about $1900-2000 in white.
    http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Pro...MS970CEMFG.pdf
    It is indeed Universal Height (17-5/8" from floor to lip of seat), so maybe it's a good choice for you. It has toilet lid auto raise and auto lower as well as auto flush, so no owner's manual should be necessary for guests; they just shouldn't be surprised when it opens for them!

Here's the user's manual: http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Pro...nual_OM_EN.pdf The info on auto functions is on the 11th page of the pdf (pages 20-21 of the document).
    Last edited by wjcandee; 12-29-2013 at 05:37 PM.