Softener Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

fishknut

Reaction score
Hey guys my softner is giving me some headaches. I originally had trouble turning the dial, so I called a service who came out and replaced my seals and told me my piston was stuck. Ever since then everytime the softner regenerates it gets stuck somewhere during the cycle and the house is subject to nasty Florida well water. I disected the water softner today and sprayed PB Blaster on the piston thinking that maybe it is still getting hung up. I also replaced the timer first thinking that was the issue, I was thinking the timer was getting weak. That didnt solve my issue. Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Type of softener in Question?
If it is the Fleck 5600 then there is a wheel in the powerhead assembly that could be with either a missing tooth or a worn tooth so that the rotation is hanging up..
If there is a wheel that is a problem then that wheel in going to need replacing, often it is the one that runs from the front to the rear and is the one that the piston is attached to so that the piston moves up and down.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There could also be some thing a miss with the springs and bearings between the wheel and the plate. You can find them in the manual in the parts break down for the powerhead on the 5600.

How old is the unit in question? does it live out side or in side?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The timer motor does go bad in that model.

I would suspect the timer motor before a valve problem.

P.S. I am no pro, I just lay pipe when I can.

Have a Happy New Year.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is another thing that I have done, that is take the power head off the valve body and see how well it turns and runs through a cycle once you start a cycle.
if it runs the cycle with out hanging up or it turns easy then there is some thing a miss in the piston and seal pack assembly.

fishknut

Reaction score
It is four years old and is outside. For the first three years I kept the head assembly covered with a bucket, the bucket broke and it spent the next year exposed. I have covered it back up since.

DonL

Reaction score
It is four years old and is outside. For the first three years I kept the head assembly covered with a bucket, the bucket broke and it spent the next year exposed. I have covered it back up since.

LOL.

Now that is as funny as hell.

I almost fell off of my rocker.

lol

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Think that it had some thing to do with the bucket on its head ....

Let the mind go from there.....

fishknut

Reaction score
Ok latest update, I went out to check the timer and it's working properly, but now water is spurting out of the base of the piston. I'm thinking the PB Blaster ruined my new seals. I'm doing a manual regen to see if it will flush the area and stop the flow. Thanks for help Ak

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would agree that the blaster may have broken down the rubber in the seals and the o ring that is around the piston and the end cap...
The end cap can be fixed with a new quad ring.. dental pick to get the old one out and then getting the new one in... done it any number of times..
But so much today is take it to the dump and put in total new and not replace just what needs to be replaced...

DonL

Reaction score
Ok latest update, I went out to check the timer and it's working properly, but now water is spurting out of the base of the piston. I'm thinking the PB Blaster ruined my new seals. I'm doing a manual regen to see if it will flush the area and stop the flow. Thanks for help Ak

A silicon spray or jelly is safe, but PB Blaster may not fit that application.

We use the Redneck Bucket Protectors in Texas also.

Good Luck.

fishknut

Reaction score
I would agree that the blaster may have broken down the rubber in the seals and the o ring that is around the piston and the end cap...
The end cap can be fixed with a new quad ring.. dental pick to get the old one out and then getting the new one in... done it any number of times..
But so much today is take it to the dump and put in total new and not replace just what needs to be replaced...

Well I'm joining the group of throwing out the old and replacing it. The wife is driving me nuts because our water is horrible when unsoftened. I appreciate your help, I will definitley takes steps to keep the unit covered and out of the elements. Happy New Year, thanks again.

DonL

Reaction score
Sweet I'll make sure I use a bucket 100% of the time.

It is hard to find a good Bucket now a days.

The ones that the Chlorine tablets come in seem to last the longest.

I have a portable toilet seat used for camping, and you set a bucket under it, with a bucket liner (Walmart bag).

Have a Happy New Year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks