Linear shower drain firsts.

Users who are viewing this thread

argh

Reaction score
As part of a bathroom remodel, I’m considering a linear shower drain (concrete floor underneath). Which manufacturer would you recommend? Should I be looking for one that goes along the perimeter of the wall or the center (where the current drain is at)?

Is this shower pan with integrated linear drain a step in the right direction? https://www.tileredi.com/shower-pans/redi-trench.html

argh

Reaction score
I looked through many Ideabooks using the search term "linear shower drain" but may have missed one that went into detail about the process of installing this type of drain onto an existing concrete floor or which manufacturers system (Laticrete, Schluter, ACO,...) to use for a balance of cost and ease of use once installed. Ease of use = easy to remove if frequent cleanings are necessary (or infrequent, with an integrated hair strainer?).

Reach4

Reaction score
I'll play. I think I would select the one on the right in the middle picture if the red lines represent the actual cut lines. The reason is that the smallest pieces are larger. If I could widen the gap to 1.5 tile widths, sliding the right tiles up or down so that alternating tiles do not get cut and the other tiles get cut exactly in half sounds good.

Just guessing. No experience.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I second Reach 4 . I would also choose the right side ( option ) .

The flow of the hexagons can be done -- from the photo -- and remain constant thru out the shower floor . It would also delicately minimize the linear drain .

Choosing your tile layout for an ACO tile top drain Update 1.jpg

Choosing your tile layout for an ACO tile top drain Update 2.jpg

Choosing your tile layout for an ACO tile top drain Update 3.jpg

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
The other reason is to avoid left to right grout joints since these are perpendicular to the slope of the shower floor. With my layout there are no grout joints perpendicular to the showers slope. I like this a lot.

You got me there John . From the photos , it seems that you have more perpendicular joints -- doesn't sound right with the hexagons -- with the slope of the shower if using the left option . The '' perpendicular '' joints -- hexagon mosaics --shouldn't create any issue with the slope of the shower .
If you like the left option , go for it . Having more infos and being on site , You and the client can decide which option to use .

johnfrwhipple said:
I don't think I could roll the top of the tile inside the tile insert grate with that layout Roberto (EuroB). I don't want water sitting on the tile top.

Sure you can . It doesn't need that much to have an issue . 3'' wide more or less ..... in half .....1/32 in 1 1/2'' ...... 1/16 in 3'' .....1/4'' in 12'' ........ so you are good. 1/32 is not much to accommodate the hexagons you are installing .

johnfrwhipple said:
That said I do not think I did try your offset layout using the outside of the linear drain body. I'll look into that.

Let me know if it works . It worked in the photo .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
Cleaning the linear drain and how it looks long term is key. It is for this reason I stopped selling all the other drains and have made the move to only selling drains from ACO.

Does the debris strainer -- 2'' -- from the ACO linear drain fit the Schluter linear drain ?

Strainers ACO 2''.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
To bad you are so far . I would check with a local supplier to order it if the strainer fits .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks for the suggestion . If the opportunity presents -- drains are not part of my contracts , I just work around them -- , maybe I will do that .

I will see locally for now .:)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Here is a picture from my blog page showing the two ways you could lay out the floor tile for this shower floor.

Looking at the photo it's clear that the left side option is the clear winner. Do you understand why?

I like to apply theory and proven sound logic to tackle these basic layout problems. It took me about two minutes to work this out. Now not giving these details any consideration can net you a shower that preforms as a shower but does not excel at it's job.

The difference between a good shower and a great shower.

The linear drain shown is by ACO. The model is a tile insert. In the tile insert linear drain class ACO owns this market. All other linear drains are poor copies of this winning design.

How did the layout for the shower turn out John ? Do you have any pics ?:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks