Regen coloring

Users who are viewing this thread

moreira85

Reaction score
I have a well water with 3ppm of iron. I installed a fleck 5600sxt and what a difference it's made. Crystal clear water and no staining in toilets. I have it set to regen every 7 days. I notice every time it regenerates the morning I wake up the water is discolored yellowish until I run the faucet for 3-4 mins then it clears up any thoughts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Regen or backwash? My guess is that while it is backwashing, that water is being used, perhaps several sources... R/O filter, icemaker, humidifier, leaking toilet, etc. and so raw water is bypassing the filter filling the lines.

moreira85

Reaction score
Merry Xmas. I have the brine draw set to 60, rapid rinse at 10. I changed the RR to 13 last time around w little improvement. That's what it seems like it's not rinsing it enough. It doesn't seem like the unsoftened water that's coming through, I don't have a leaky toilet or R/O system. It seems like water that was being back washed.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Brine draw? So then this is a softener, not an iron filter? If so, the regen was the right term. I was confused by the 7 day cycle.

Either way, a softener during regen or a filter during backwash, goes into a bypass mode so the raw water can get by it into the plumbing. If this is on a well system with the pressure rising and falling, and if there is an expansion tank downstream then that too can contribute. A longer fast rinse might not make any difference.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please post again some numbers.
Iron?
Hardness?
Mn?
Number of people?
Size of unit? as in what was the max capacity from the company you bought it from?

moreira85

Reaction score
40000 grain cap. 2 adults 2 young children. We don't use a lot of water. Iron 1gpg. Iron 3ppm. I'll have to ceck MAnganese but it was Low.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was working with a comp hardness of 22 grains and a capacity setting of 25 for the system.
With say 3 people 75per day that would be 225.. or about 4-5 days.

I am thinking that the unit has been set up to go to long between regens and the media is building up with iron..

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
As before I am thinking about a default setting of 5 days and make sure that the reserve is on Fixed Reserve Capacity of say 225gallons or just the 225.

moreira85

Reaction score
Brine draw? So then this is a softener, not an iron filter? If so, the regen was the right term. I was confused by the 7 day cycle.

Either way, a softener during regen or a filter during backwash, goes into a bypass mode so the raw water can get by it into the plumbing. If this is on a well system with the pressure rising and falling, and if there is an expansion tank downstream then that too can contribute. A longer fast rinse might not make any difference.
Yes it's a softener with a well. It regenerates at night with no water being used while we sleep. There is an expansion tank for hydronic baseboard. It looks like water from the backwash not hard water that got into the plumbing.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you will increase the brine refill time but not change the default day to 5 from the 7?

I am working on getting the mind around why you are set on so long of a time frame between regen cycles.

moreira85

Reaction score
So you will increase the brine refill time but not change the default day to 5 from the 7?

I am working on getting the mind around why you are set on so long of a time frame between regen cycles.

I'm not set on it. I've regenerated twice in a day then the next and each time the same result. Yellowish water right after the regen.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do you have an external trio of bypass valves? If so, humor me and close off the house side while you manually regen and then open it up afterwards to see if you still get yellowish water.

I contend that either there is enough water use or expansion during the cycle to let the dirty backwash water get forward of the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks