Regen coloring

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pressure changes and pulses during the regen cycles could also be churning up the sediment trapped in the filter cartridge.

moreira85

Reaction score
Never thought of that. I'm just about due to put the new sediment filter in. Should I manually regenerate right after replacing it or shut down the shut off between the softener and filter then regenerate?

moreira85

Reaction score
Whoops I forgot and didn't realize until I got home the sediment filter is before the water softener not after so no way to turn off the shut off valve.

moreira85

Reaction score
I'll add to the thread. Had a regeneration last night and of course the water was yellowish and colored until I Ran it out for 5 minutes. Tonight I figured I would change the sediment filter. The filter was of course filthy covered caked with iron. I put the nice new filter back in and turned the water back on at the well tank as the water ran through the filter and into the softener. I went upstairs an started turning on all the faucets one by one and the water was reddish color. It seems that the pressure changes are stirring up what's in the softener?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have to wonder whether you have more iron than your water tests led you to believe. Some tests cannot measure both ferrous and ferric forms of iron.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
And after 3 months it has a heavy load?
What happens with the color of the water when there is a fresh filter?
Either one is going to need to change after 2 months or try a 10 or 20 micron filter.

There is a possibility that because of the filter loading that the system has been overloaded and has never cleaned up fully from the over load.

A good deal of the iron has settled in the bottom of the softener and has yet to be fully cleaned out.

An idea would be to take the softener apart and empty the resin in to 2 or so buckets and soak the resin in white vinegar and or iron out for about 6 hours , flush out the tank and gravel and put things back together again and shorten up the default days .. and change the pre filter every 6 to 8 weeks no matter what.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the various tests but was told by my dealer that his test only detected ferrous and not ferric iron.

moreira85

Reaction score
I'm going to try back to back regents with super iron out first and set the salt dose to the highest setting. How do I set the salt dose to the highest setting on the fleck 5600sxt? Is that the brine fill setting or the hardness setting? I would think if it's the brine fill that on the first regen it would only get the normal salt dose from the previous brine fill up. Then on the second regen the water during fill hasn't sat in the brine tank long enough to make brine?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Simply adding more water to the brine tank will increase the salt dose.

Remove the in-line filter before the softener in case it is limiting the GPM, affecting the backwash. Tap the sides of the tank with the palm of your hand during the backwash to help agitate the media.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I guess so. What a pain the softeners only 2months old.

You say you have an in-line replaceable filter that is plugging up with iron crud and diminishing flow. This is not an appropriate way to use a softener. When the filter is plugged your softener may have trouble backwashing itself and cleaning out all the garbage, which should not be allowed into the softener in the first place.

You really should have a proper backwashing iron filter, followed by the softener. The cartridge filter could be removed, or the element left out. Otherwise you will be forever trying to fix problems with the softener caused by dirty water. It is not clear to me that a couple backwashes with iron out are going to fix your problem long-term.

Reach4

Reaction score
You really should have a proper backwashing iron filter, followed by the softener. The cartridge filter could be removed, or the element left out. Otherwise you will be forever trying to fix problems with the softener caused by dirty water. It is not clear to me that a couple backwashes with iron out are going to fix your problem long-term.

I would keep the current whole house replaceable filter and pipe the backwashing iron (and more) filter in before that. Others disagree.

moreira85

Reaction score
First thing I'll do is take the sedinment cartridge out and regenerate. Maybe a .5 micron is causing a pressure drop resulting in inadequate back washing.

Reach4

Reaction score
First thing I'll do is take the sediment cartridge out and regenerate. Maybe a .5 micron is causing a pressure drop resulting in inadequate back washing.
You bring up a good point. Another idea would be to mount a water pressure gauge to a faucet after the filter. I wounder if any of those gauges with the extra max-indicating needles could be wound around to record the minimum pressure.

moreira85

Reaction score
Simply adding more water to the brine tank will increase the salt dose.

Remove the in-line filter before the softener in case it is limiting the GPM, affecting the backwash. Tap the sides of the tank with the palm of your hand during the backwash to help agitate the media.
I filled up a 5 gallon bucket in 1 minute with the sediment filter. I then reinstalled the sediment filter and virtually the same still 5 gallon bucket in 1 minute. I increased the salt dose and did a regen with super iron. I did tap the sides during backwash and it appears as though we have a significant improvement. I'll keep you updated.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You get 3 lbs of salt in a gallon of water, so add the Iron Out to like 2 gallons of water and wait 2 hrs for the 6 lbs of salt to dissolve and then start the regeneration. Repeat without any water use during or between the 2 regenerations. Do one in the evening after getting ready for bed early and then when it is done on your way to bed, add the 2 gals and IO and set a regeneration to be done at 2 AM. A regen should be done in like 1.5 hrs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks