(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regen coloring

I'm going to try increasing the time on the brine fill to see if that helps. I wonder if my water pressure isn't high enough to rinse it completely I find a search a noticed some people with the exact same issue I'm having.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/incomp...lushing-70484/
    http://www.************.com/forum/wa...-backwash.html

So you will increase the brine refill time but not change the default day to 5 from the 7?

I am working on getting the mind around why you are set on so long of a time frame between regen cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    So you will increase the brine refill time but not change the default day to 5 from the 7?

I am working on getting the mind around why you are set on so long of a time frame between regen cycles.

I'm not set on it. I've regenerated twice in a day then the next and each time the same result. Yellowish water right after the regen.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Do you have an external trio of bypass valves? If so, humor me and close off the house side while you manually regen and then open it up afterwards to see if you still get yellowish water.

I contend that either there is enough water use or expansion during the cycle to let the dirty backwash water get forward of the softener.

I have a shut off after the softener between my softener and sediment filter.

The pressure changes and pulses during the regen cycles could also be churning up the sediment trapped in the filter cartridge.

Never thought of that. I'm just about due to put the new sediment filter in. Should I manually regenerate right after replacing it or shut down the shut off between the softener and filter then regenerate?

Whoops I forgot and didn't realize until I got home the sediment filter is before the water softener not after so no way to turn off the shut off valve.

I'll add to the thread. Had a regeneration last night and of course the water was yellowish and colored until I Ran it out for 5 minutes. Tonight I figured I would change the sediment filter. The filter was of course filthy covered caked with iron. I put the nice new filter back in and turned the water back on at the well tank as the water ran through the filter and into the softener. I went upstairs an started turning on all the faucets one by one and the water was reddish color. It seems that the pressure changes are stirring up what's in the softener?

I have to wonder whether you have more iron than your water tests led you to believe. Some tests cannot measure both ferrous and ferric forms of iron.

How often are you changing the pre filter?

Every 3 months a .5 micron filter.

And after 3 months it has a heavy load?
    What happens with the color of the water when there is a fresh filter?
    Either one is going to need to change after 2 months or try a 10 or 20 micron filter.

There is a possibility that because of the filter loading that the system has been overloaded and has never cleaned up fully from the over load.

A good deal of the iron has settled in the bottom of the softener and has yet to be fully cleaned out.

An idea would be to take the softener apart and empty the resin in to 2 or so buckets and soak the resin in white vinegar and or iron out for about 6 hours , flush out the tank and gravel and put things back together again and shorten up the default days .. and change the pre filter every 6 to 8 weeks no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    I have to wonder whether you have more iron than your water tests led you to believe. Some tests cannot measure both ferrous and ferric forms of iron.
    What's the best way to get it tested?

I'm not familiar with the various tests but was told by my dealer that his test only detected ferrous and not ferric iron.