(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regen coloring

Default Regen coloring

I have a well water with 3ppm of iron. I installed a fleck 5600sxt and what a difference it's made. Crystal clear water and no staining in toilets. I have it set to regen every 7 days. I notice every time it regenerates the morning I wake up the water is discolored yellowish until I run the faucet for 3-4 mins then it clears up any thoughts?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Regen or backwash? My guess is that while it is backwashing, that water is being used, perhaps several sources... R/O filter, icemaker, humidifier, leaking toilet, etc. and so raw water is bypassing the filter filling the lines.

Sorry I meant after backwash.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

You are not rinsing enough. If you can change the fast rinse time it will help. If not, you will need to Regen sooner.

Merry Xmas. I have the brine draw set to 60, rapid rinse at 10. I changed the RR to 13 last time around w little improvement. That's what it seems like it's not rinsing it enough. It doesn't seem like the unsoftened water that's coming through, I don't have a leaky toilet or R/O system. It seems like water that was being back washed.
    Last edited by moreira85; 12-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Brine draw? So then this is a softener, not an iron filter? If so, the regen was the right term. I was confused by the 7 day cycle.

Either way, a softener during regen or a filter during backwash, goes into a bypass mode so the raw water can get by it into the plumbing. If this is on a well system with the pressure rising and falling, and if there is an expansion tank downstream then that too can contribute. A longer fast rinse might not make any difference.

Please post again some numbers.
    Iron?
    Hardness?
    Mn?
    Number of people?
    Size of unit? as in what was the max capacity from the company you bought it from?

40000 grain cap. 2 adults 2 young children. We don't use a lot of water. Iron 1gpg. Iron 3ppm. I'll have to ceck MAnganese but it was Low.

If it helps at all the first 4 to 5 weeks there were no issues after back washing.

Quote Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
    40000 grain cap. 2 adults 2 young children. We don't use a lot of water. Iron 1gpg. Iron 3ppm. I'll have to ceck MAnganese but it was Low.
    Is the iron at 1 or 3 and the hardness?

Sorry iron 3ppm. Hardness 1gpg. I have the hardness setting on softener at 17.

I was working with a comp hardness of 22 grains and a capacity setting of 25 for the system.
    With say 3 people 75per day that would be 225.. or about 4-5 days.

I am thinking that the unit has been set up to go to long between regens and the media is building up with iron..

That's what I had the capacity at 25. So I should adjust the hardness? How often between regents do u suggest?

As before I am thinking about a default setting of 5 days and make sure that the reserve is on Fixed Reserve Capacity of say 225gallons or just the 225.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Brine draw? So then this is a softener, not an iron filter? If so, the regen was the right term. I was confused by the 7 day cycle.

Either way, a softener during regen or a filter during backwash, goes into a bypass mode so the raw water can get by it into the plumbing. If this is on a well system with the pressure rising and falling, and if there is an expansion tank downstream then that too can contribute. A longer fast rinse might not make any difference.
    Yes it's a softener with a well. It regenerates at night with no water being used while we sleep. There is an expansion tank for hydronic baseboard. It looks like water from the backwash not hard water that got into the plumbing.