How to remove TOTO Ultramax flapper. THU096

Users who are viewing this thread

Watersprite

Reaction score
My one-piece Toto Ultramax (CST 853S) needs a new flapper. I have done this many times before on other toilets and it is an easy task. HOWEVER, on this one, the pink flapper is connected to an L-shaped piece of plastic but there is NO WAY TO GET IT OFF. The flapper connector is attached the plastic L-piece without a break. In other words, it is solid plastic. How do I get it off to put in a new flapper? (And...WHAT was Toto thinking???)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The pink flapper is made of a rubber-like compound. Just unhook the female part of the flapper from the male hook on the flush valve by pulling it across the base of the T and then up the hook and off. This video involves a flapper smaller than the one on your Toto, but the process of removal is the same. A few seconds in you can see how to take the old one off. On the video, they remove the flapper at about 33 seconds into the video...

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time it takes me a few seconds. They clip on and clip off. :)

However, sometimes the pins are right at the edge of the tank, or the rubber is so hardened that removal is very difficult. There have been a few times when I took a box knife and cut them off. I was tossing the old flapper anyway, so cutting it for removal made more sense then breaking a pin.

thu347s-01.jpg

thu347s-02.jpg

thu347s-03.jpg

thu347s-04.jpg

Last edited:

Watersprite

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, but... I would be able to do this if the flapper were soft rubber (and have done so many times). But where it is connected to the bar, this flapper is SOLID HARD PLASTIC all around and there is no way to slide it off or slide it any other direction. I just called Toto and they said I had to cut it off! What??? (And I need to buy a cutting tool [dykes] to do it.) There has to be an easier way. The support rep at Toto even had to check with his supervisor. Ever heard of this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I may need a picture of that. The hard plastic one that I'm aware of lifts straight up.

toto_flush_valve_bottom_view.jpg

The hard plastic one from about ten years ago lifts off the pins straight up. It can be replaced with the new rubber flappers, or there is a rubber disk that can be replaced on the underside of the flat plastic flapper assembly.

cst454_old_inside_tank.jpg

The old style above. This has the old Hunter fill valve, and notice that the refill tube needs to be pointed down the overflow tube.

THU096 disc for older style TOTO Ultramax flush valve.
https://www.nyrpcorp.com/toto-thu096-flapper-gasket-set-10-pieces/

toto_854_flush_valve.jpg

Newer style with the ears.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
there is NO WAY TO GET IT OFF.

The flapper lifts off the pins. You angle it up a bit as you slide it off.
That flapper is very easy to remove and replace. We sometimes, with the customer there show them how easy it is to remove and replace.
Here's a hint. Rubber bends.

cst854_inside_tank_5.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pin has an asymmetrical nub, as does the opening in the flapper. It's easier to take off when you lift the flapper up some to align the long ear of the nubs and the slot in the flapper itself.

Watersprite

Reaction score
Thanks for all help from everyone! I did manage to remove the flapper, but it was far from easy. Tight access to the tank and very little room inside to work -- I couldn't get the handle off, so had to maneuver around it. The Korky is so easy to install -- why can't Toto be the same? Anyway, all is now well.

My hat's off to all of you in this business. Thank you again.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
I may need a picture of that. The hard plastic one that I'm aware of lifts straight up.

toto_flush_valve_bottom_view.jpg

The hard plastic one from about ten years ago lifts off the pins straight up. It can be replaced with the new rubber flappers, or there is a rubber disk that can be replaced on the underside of the flat plastic flapper assembly.

cst454_old_inside_tank.jpg

The old style above. This has the old Hunter fill valve, and notice that the refill tube needs to be pointed down the overflow tube.

THU096 disc for older style TOTO Ultramax flush valve.
http://www.nyrpcorp.com/toto-flapper-thu096

toto_854_flush_valve.jpg

Newer style with the ears.

I wonder where the person dug that hunter fill valve out of!

Greg G

Reaction score
Came across this forum thread recently, and had to comment. I had the exact same issue and I could definitely feel the pain Watersprite was going through. Despite all the comments about this being easy and just lifting off the flapper from the pins, this was clearly not the case. The rubber/plastic was not soft and trying to lift it off was actually bending the pin itself. So rather than risk breaking the pins I ended up using a knife to remove the damn thing. Considering Toto is supposed to be a premium brand, I'm shocked they would release such a poorly designed flapper! I've replaced many toilet flappers very easily as they are typically designed to clip on and off (and in fact that's how their own replacement flapper works) and this was the first one I've ever had that issue with. Shame on Toto for that one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Despite all the comments about this being easy and just lifting off the flapper from the pins, this was clearly not the case.

They slip off the pins. I just reach in and bend them off the pins at an upward angle. They are snug, but they come right off.

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

The Drake has the same flapper. There are about three or four flappers you can replace with.
I will say that my fingers are pretty strong, and maybe that's why it's easy for me.

flapper-cut-off.jpg

On this flapper replacement last week, the pin was against the tank, so I did cut this one off. I carry a box knife in my tool tray, so I was prepared
I knife is something I always have when I'm working.

Last edited:

Mimsey

Reaction score
Thanks for the box cutter tip to get that thick, hard Toto rubber flap off the pins. NO WAY it would "slip off." I had the same problem with another Toto toilet last year, and only got it off by bending the pins, which I don't recommend. Diagonal cutters do not work, as there is not enough tank space to maneuver a hinged tool. The box cutters did the trick! Thankfully, the replacement (Toto Universal Flapper from Lowe's) has a U-shaped "hook" that snaps right on the pin. Yay. Thank you all.

sl90

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I came across this thread because I went through this earlier today, and I wanted to see if I was the only one. These particular flappers don't come off easily at all, I still can't believe I was able to do it without breaking the pegs. After about 6-7 years, my original toto flapper was rock hard.

The company that I bought the toilet from sent me a replacement tank a couple months after I bought it 6-7 years ago, since I wasn't happy with the way the lid fit on. I still have parts from that tank lying around. I've attached a picture of the new flapper from that replacement tank. It feels somewhat soft and pliable, much moreso than the old one I removed. But it does have PVC stamped on it, I don't know if other flappers out there are made of pvc, and maybe that's why it go so rock hard and was so difficult to remove.

Attachments

• flapper.jpg
    flapper.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 413

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures, I think I would cut the red or blue arms with a big diagonal cutter. Then you just have the pieces to independently slip off of a peg.
milwaukee-all-trades-cutting-pliers-48-22-6508-40_145.jpg

sl90

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures, I think I would cut the red or blue arms with a big diagonal cutter. Then you just have the pieces to independently slip off of a peg.

That's exactly what I'm thinking for a second one I would like to replace today. Maybe putting some dish soap or a tiny bit of silicone spray on the pegs too. I thought about sticking a hairdryer down there for a bit to soften up the material, but hopefully it slips off with ease after cutting.

Edit: I just removed the old flapper in the second toilet, cutting is the way to go. Don't cut too close to the post, leave a little nub for your left fingers to grab on to and help wiggle it off. I also used a little dish soap on the posts, and in the holes of the new toto flapper pictured above. Old flapper arms still didn't come off the posts as easily as I would have liked, but it wasn't bad.

Last edited:

Celeste Januszewski

Reaction score
I had the same problem -- couldn't get the darn flapper off the pegs. Ended up breaking the peg off the plastic flush valve tube!
Apparently, Toto no longer sells the tube, it's now a flush tower.
This is Toto CST864, one-piece. Is it time to call the plumber?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks