Iron Removal Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both the 5600 and 2510 use the same pilot tube assembly o ring and ring clip... and if there is the 1.05 why would one need to change distributor tube?

A high pressure spray nozzle will work in putting down into the media tank and stirring up the media.. now it is best done out side for the over flow of water from the media tank is going to make a bit of a mess of things ..

There is not that much of iron, I am looking at a system that has 15ppm of iron and 2.5ppm of Mn........ that in years is going to be fun changing and there is really no way around the mess that it will be.

FenderBender

Reaction score
All good comments. It was suggested to me to add a line that goes directly into the intake line for the filter when I make my changes and then use it as a method for introducing bleach directly into the media. This would allow for a cleaning and keep from having to go through shock treating the well. Also, I would not have to deal with the dumping and reintroduction.

Sounded pretty good to me. I am not exactly sure how to do it, but I'll need a shut off valve and I assume a "T". Has anyone done this before? Also, still looking for advice on the DLFC size for Filox...10,12 or 15?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There was a 2510 that used air rather than salt and the line that would have gone to the salt had a 3/8 check valve on it, that line could then be added to and chlorine pulled in through the line...

Back wash rate for the 1 cubic media is 11gpm and 2 is 15gpm. What size tank is in use now?

FenderBender

Reaction score
10". I have read that it needs to be anywhere from 10 - 15 GPM depending on water temp, tank diameter, tank design, amount of media, etc....I was thinking 12 or 15. Since my iron is not attrocious, I was leaning to 12.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, lots of factors to consider. The amount of media for a given tank size will determine the freeboard. The higher the backwash rate, the more freeboard may be required. Back when my iron filter was new, I could shine a light through the tank and see the media well up during backwash. After I had the media rebedded, I was getting media up into the journals in the head due to insufficient freeboard.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
A tank of 10x54 is going to be 1.5 cubic with 17" free board.......... really no matter what the media is.

Backwash rate is then on the media... risen lower while kdf will be high... 20gpm.
The current media in question is a cross between pylox and greensand so about 12gpm should do good.

As for media into the valve, either to much or if Pumice/filtag going into back wash while the media was still to fresh and no cap had be made on the top of the media.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That could have been the case.
How long from the rebed to the first cleaning?
just a few hours or more like 10 days with the loss of pressure at any given sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks