(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p trap plumbing question. pic included.

DIY Junior Member

Default p trap plumbing question. pic included.

Is this legal? Existing 3" pipe is the vent.
    Name:  IMAG1066.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  29.3 KB
    Name:  IMAG1068.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  37.8 KB
    Water is draining from right to left in existing 3" pipe currently. I want to connect new shower drain to this pipe. Location of shower pans drain won't give me enough space to install p trap right to left because of existing 3" fitting.
    Last edited by aharami; 12-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.

DIY Junior Member

I guess what I'm asking is if drain water always has to flow in one direction? Or can the p trap take the water to the right and then connect to a main pipe where the water is flowing to the left.

Appreciate your help.

Not legal. You have an S trap. You must have a vent in the area where you left hand is located in the first photo. That's before the pipe turn downward.

DIY Junior Member

Oh, that 3" pipe is the main vent stack. That existing 1.5" wye you see in the 2nd pic is for the old tub drain. I'm moving the drain from a right hand configuration to a center configuration. Past that existing wye, to the right, the 3" pipe makes a 90 degree turn upward and vents out the attic.

After I posted this thread, I read that a p trap must have a horizontal section after the weir. So if I take the p trap to the right, then have a horizontal section for 6", then make a 90 degree turn downward toward the 3" pipe, then connect it to the new wye via a 45 turn angled down appropriately so it meets the new wye, is that legal?
    Last edited by aharami; 12-21-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Where's the vent?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Where's the vent?
    The vent would be the 3" pipe I'm connecting it to. That 3" pipe runs to the right, then goes up to vent out of the attic.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

No. The fixture vent MUST rise vertically off the trap arm, and must remain vertical until it reaches a point at least 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served, whichever is greater. No section of the vent may be horizontal before the minimum height is reached.

Time to rethink your plan.

DIY Junior Member

So how are shower drains plumbed then? If the vent must rise vertically directly off the p trap and the p trap is in the center of a 5'x3' shower pan...how is that possible? The shower pan won't allow the vent to rise vertically directly off the p trap which will be under the center of the pan. Confused...

The pipe from the trap to the vent connection, wherever that is, MUST be horizontal, (other than the slope due to pitch), It cannot turn up OR down until then, and your pipe appears to turn downward into the "Y". Also, if there is a toilet 'upstream" from the shower connection, that is also illegal unless the shower has its own dedicated vent.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

DIY Junior Member

Ok so this is all existing plumbing. That wye in the center of the pic is where the old tub was plumbed to. As you can see, the p trap arm was connecting directly to a horizontal vent pipe. My new shower drain location has to be where that elbow is sitting on the ground. The farthest to the left I can cut the 3" pipe is 1.5" to the right of wye on the left of the pic. How would I go about connecting the p trap properly so that everything is legal?Name:  IMAG1072.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  43.5 KB
    Last edited by aharami; 12-21-2013 at 07:18 AM.

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The pipe from the trap to the vent connection, wherever that is, MUST be horizontal, (other than the slope due to pitch), It cannot turn up OR down until then, and your pipe appears to turn downward into the "Y". Also, if there is a toilet 'upstream" from the shower connection, that is also illegal unless the shower has its own dedicated vent.
    Ok thanks for that. I'm getting it now. So if I run the p trap left to right but make it so that the arm is same level as vent pipe, have a horizontal run for about 6 or so inches, then pretty much make an u turn using a 90 and a 45 to connect to the new wye, would that be ok? Something like this drawing. Pardon the horrible diagram.Attachment 22747

Toilet connection is downstream to shower. Still don't understand how I'm supposed to have a vertical vent directly off the p trap arm. I guess the existing plumbing wasn't done to code...or maybe the code changed in the past 20 yrs.
    Last edited by aharami; 12-21-2013 at 07:35 AM.

I see what you have there now. What you are trying to do is to pipe a fixture into the house stack. You can't do that. You need a separate stack that runs all the way to below the fixtures on the first floor.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I see what you have there now. What you are trying to do is to pipe a fixture into the house stack. You can't do that. You need a separate stack that runs all the way to below the fixtures on the first floor.
    What is the reasoning behind that? As long as everything is joined properly, vent is vent, no?

No vent is not vent. That stack serves the fixtures below it. If you use it the way you are trying to use it, you would need to re-vent all the lower fixtures to a point above the flood level rim of the 2nd story fixtures. In short, you can't tie into that 3" pipe with waste water. You need to run a separate 3" pipe all the way to probably the basement and tie into the waste there. Absolutely do not continue to do what you are doing or you will have big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by aharami View Post
    What is the reasoning behind that? As long as everything is joined properly, vent is vent, no?
    Uh-boy. Dude, study this for some help. http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/planning...mbingguide.pdf Then, look at p. 9 where there is a picture of a correctly-vented tub p-trap.

Also, p.3 of this guide may be helpful to you: http://www.klickitatcounty.org/build...andout0411.pdf Also look at p.6, and p.4 and 5.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 12-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.