Tub spout rough in for Tub/shower renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

Lemmy

Reaction score
I have a new cast iron tub and will be installing tile on the 3 walls surrounding the tub. I have a delta MultiChoice valve (the pex version). So I will crimp pex to the incoming lines, then I will screw a pipe thread to pex adapter on to run pex up to the shower where I will have a drop ear elbow that I will crimp pex too. Then I will screw a 1/2 pipe nipple in for now. For the tub spout I am coming out with a pipe thread to copper sweat adapter then running copper down. At that point should I just put a sweat elbow and have a copper tube coming out (for a slip on tub spout) or should I instead have a drop ear elbow and come out with a a pipe nipple (like for the shower)? At this time I do not know what delta hardware I will be using so I don't know if I am better off going with copper pipe (slip on) or pipe nipple (thread on spout)? Is one more common, what happens if I do one but the spout is only available as the other? Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either way is acceptable. I like the drop ear - it's easy to secure to a block.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your Delta spout "should" have a "unifit" adapter which can attach to either threads or solder to a copper stub, so you can do it either way. But, DO secure the elbow somehow, even if it is not a drop ear elbow, which is what most plumbers WOULD use.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

delta_tub_spout_a2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemmy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!. So how far should I have the 1/2 nipple sticking out from the finished wall? Fortunately this is something I can change after I finish the wall, but I would like to do a leak test on the drop ear/nipple interface before I put up the tile. It always makes me nervous to screw in a new shower pipe and not be able to see in to check for leaks. If I can have the right length nipple in that would be one less that I would have to worry about. Thanks!

delta-lahara-07.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Measure from the drop ear to the finish wall.
Measure from the thread to the base in your spout.

Add the two - and there is your nipple length.

Remember: get 2 more nipples, one slightly longer and one slightly shorter, if your calculations turned out to be wrong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Delta spout with the adapter HJ shows is pretty flexible. The O-ring makes the seal, so as long as you can screw it on, it'll work. The spec sheet gives a fairly big range. Most other spouts that screw on are much less flexible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With that adapter the nipple can project 1 1/2" from the wall, but it means a lot of "twisting" to screw the spout on that far. I like it as close to the wall as possible form that reason.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks